Iron Oxide

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

The dreaded rust. I noticed a few spots appearing underneath my scooter. How do you stop the bloody stuff? Is it all in the prep, or can it be treated without plastering everything in ACF50 and going for the Rusteration look?
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Park it in a different place Neville - then you will not have spots underneath your scooter.

Did you have to do that?
Revit
Main scooter: sx200

The old tinworm never sleeps, but you can treat patches where it pops up though by scraping down to bare metal as best you can & brush Kurust onto the exposed area. Then after 3 hours brush or spray zinc over the rust treatment. Zinc 182 works well, but any old zinc based paint should do the job. Not much likes to stick to zinc and/or reacts with it, but Tetrosyl red oxide does very nicely & you can put anything yer like over that. Been using this little chemical sandwich fer years, never had it bubble up, but I do carve as much of the crusty stuff out as poss, either with course 40 grit paper, grinder or wire wheels etc.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I thought that you fell into this way of thinking Nev ...

... Bristolmod
Whilst I appreciate its your scooter and you can do whatever you like with it, the fact remains that you have obliterated the scooters history by having it blasted and you will eventually repaint it.
Rust, is that a new name for patina that you anoraks often refer to?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Not always Martin. I like a nice original scooter, but I also like scooters that have been maintained and used and have some character. So shiny paint isn't the first thing that interests me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information