Vespa GS 160 series 2 restoration

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
mn-001
Main scooter: Vespa GS 160

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the scooter world, but coming from classic cars I'm sure I'll manage. But nevertheless a newbie to this world, so all the help and advice is more then welcome.

So I have recently purchased this GS 160, I know it's going to be quite a job and I know there is a lot wrong.

I know the correct saddle,tail light and coil is missing, but please let me know what else you think is wrong.

Thanks!
ArmandTanzarian

I don't know enough about the GS to comment but good luck. If you're used to classic cars then the rust won't be too scary. I'm pretty sure you can get a whole replacement floor section if its to rotten to weld up.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

Lambretta gear change handlebar it looks like :)

Tail light, nut for petrol tank cap, looks like a standard front rim rather than a centered GS/SS type (measure that the depth of the rim half is the same both sides, external condenser, lambretta coil but you can happily use a modern piaggio coil which is about £25 and better than the original GS and Lambretta coil.

Seat can be bought remade and most of the bodywork, engine and carb seems to be there which is the most important. Don't know if cowls and fender is correct but this you should be able to tell from images of the correct ones...
mn-001

Thanks for the replies!

Here are some more pictures taken today

victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

PX light switch, bodge repair on the rh cowl holder (welding). Fender crest not GS and I wonder about the fender itself.

Front wheel rim might be two thin PX rim halves but difficult to tell from the photo. Handlebar levers.

Love the foreign red text :)
Fruitjuice

Should have a fueltank with raised top, but this was at some point probably changed over to fit the saddle seat and cushion...
Handlebar and switch housing differ from Italian models in that there's no ignition swith on top of the headset above the speedo, and the switch housing and switch are oval shaped on italian models, but have seen these parts on, amongst others, american GS160's.
I do find it strange that the floor doesn't curve upwards to the front of the legshields...
Apart from that the toolbox lock should be round instead of the later rectangular Sprint-type fitted and obviously the floor runners and centre mat are early PX items....
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Dryballs

victor wrote:PX light switch, bodge repair on the rh cowl holder (welding). Fender crest not GS and I wonder about the fender itself.

Front wheel rim might be two thin PX rim halves but difficult to tell from the photo. Handlebar levers.

Love the foreign red text :)
Just the wrong light switch really. Easily changed. But you do have the correct gear change.

It does look like the wrong type of front wheel rim, but something looks screwy with your back wheel too. Maybe they have gotten the two halves mixed up somewhere?

That welded up fork link looks a bit scary

Nice project though
gavi4t
Main scooter: lambretta gp450

im not nit picking here but gs 160s have a convex floor panel and im sure theyre the only models to have that ,this one looks flat so i personally think its a sportique frame :cry:
Dryballs

I don't think so buddy. It's a gs for sure

The frame number is right, those forks don't fit in a sportique frame, gs pods won't fit on a sportique.

It's the gs150 that has curved floor boards
mn-001

thanks everyone for the many replies, I really appreciate them.

so far my list is:

saddle
wrong tail light
wrong horn
lambretta gear change handle bar
wrong petrol tank + filler cap
wrong front (and back) rim?
wrong external condenser
wrong fly wheel or just bolts missing
lambretta or truck coil
wrong light switch
wrong front fender
missing ingnition switch on headset which might be wrong all together?
missing speedo
wrong toolbox lock
wrong steering lock
wrong floor runners and rubbers.

I think the best thing is completely stripping it. making a good list of all the parts and identify them whether correct or not. then acid dipping the frame to see what we have to work with, then I can always sell it on if its undoable. but as far as parts go so far I don't think its too bad, I mean most of these things you would replace anyways on a good restoration.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information