Vespa GS 160 series 2 restoration

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

lambretta not truck coil

missing ingnition switch on headset is how it should be

wrong toolbox lock - to me it seems correct, same as on my SS180 which should have the same glove box

flywheel is correct too, you are just missing three bolts.

Engine in place by wheredowegonowbutnowhere, on Flickr
gavi4t
Main scooter: lambretta gp450

just had a look at my old 160 gs mk2 and the floorboards are definatly upturned towards the front of the legsheilds ,your right vic but those floors are defo wrong as i thought sorry buddy ....
vegansydney

Everything you ever wanted to know and more on Vespa Sports models (GS/SS): http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vespa-sports/

I have a GS160 that needs a new floor and speaking from experience the replacement Vietnamese floorboards without the strengthening 'X's are an awful fit and need a lot of work to say the least.
steve c

I have a load of pics from my mark 1 before I got it in bits and before and during new floor pan,and finished . I am Going top put them up for you but imageshack is not working
I would avoid acid stripping as you can't get rid of it unless you pay for the very high end washing and passivating version, with the floor off you easily blast the worst internal rust and treat it. The headset is right for an ac non battery gs use sportique switch( AKA usa or pakistan import) Can easily mod to fit the ignition,
. The floor looks right has a curve, gs150 and 160 are boat shaped sort off.
The fork links are expensive to buy so a better weld repair would be ideal.

steve
panamesc

seems to have all the correct details for a non battery mk2
glove box lock , no ignition key , correct light switch (painted in black) , even the horn looks good for me
mn-001
Main scooter: Vespa GS 160

AND WE'RE STARTED!!!!!!!

I cleaned up the room and made my little restoration area with 1200watts if lights, put the GS in and started disassembly. I will add some pictures with some questions. I have done my first order with SIP and the parts will arrive in 2 to 3 days!!!!! My plan is to disassemble asap and then have it acid dipped, I know lots of people are agains this because of the paintwork afterwards but it has got lots of rust in the center tunnel and I really want to get rid of that properly first. the dipping guy told me to drill extra holes so it drains really well first.

1- I noticed it being VERY!!! side heavy to the engine side and of course I understand it is because the engine is there, but it seams excessive and i wonder if you would be able to ride it without tipping over. any ideas why?

2- is this the correct headset? It looks like it doesn't split in 2 like in most restoration pics I found.

3- is this the correct gear change handle?

4- are the wheels correct? I have read about different wheel sides, offset and non offset.

5- is the shape of the rear correct as there has been a lot of welding done there

6- which brand of wheels would it have had originally? because I doubt the made in Malaysia "The massive tyre company" branded wheels are original :-p

panamesc

gs/ss wheels non offset
http://scootentole.sip-scootershop.com/ ... +_80170000
headset is ok
your gearchange too except for the neutral sign , but it's my mk1 , i can have a look on my mk2

Dryballs

mn-001 wrote: 1- I noticed it being VERY!!! side heavy to the engine side and of course I understand it is because the engine is there, but it seams excessive and i wonder if you would be able to ride it without tipping over. any ideas why?
2- is this the correct headset? It looks like it doesn't split in 2 like in most restoration pics I found.
3- is this the correct gear change handle?
4- are the wheels correct? I have read about different wheel sides, offset and non offset.
5- is the shape of the rear correct as there has been a lot of welding done there
6- which brand of wheels would it have had originally? because I doubt the made in Malaysia "The massive tyre company" branded wheels are original :-p
1 - yes its normal - they are fine to ride though
2 - Yes definately - where the hell were you looking for pictures of GS's? PX's have split headset and they are very different
3 - yes
4 - I think your front wheel rims are wrong. You should be able to get a set of wheel rims from Scooter centre or Sip that are correct. Make sure you get a spare wheel too for the left hand side. That might help your balance too
5 - I looks right... not ideal for the welding, but its roughly the right shape
6 - just get some new tyres for it. like some Michelins or something. Don't get hung up about original tyres
mn-001
Main scooter: Vespa GS 160

Sorry for the long silence, but I had a bit of trouble with the sandblaster. So:

- frame is back and is looking really sorry
- wheels are straightened
- engine is completely stripped and is being overhauled now.

so no my main problem is how on earth will this frame get fixed.

Suede Ed
Main scooter: SIL GP200

Bin it, get another one
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information