Dampers and turning Spanish mudguards

If you want to tell us about or ask about a standard spec or restoration project....post it here.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Will they fit beneath the front mudguard of a Spanish S2? Skinny or Indian?
soullad
Dealer

Skinny dampers or the thin stainless sort will fit under the mudguard no probs, if you weld on the upper damper brackets as per normal using the dimensions in Stickys book. I've run them on my scoot for years like this, its tight but fits. You'll find fat Indian, bgm or jet fat dampers aren't really suited.
The only Spanish models that originally had dampers were the TV2's. These came fitted with clamp on upper brackets, no doubt allowing the assemblers a little adjustment / clearance etc, which may help if you want to try a dry run and attempt to squeeze in the fatter versions?? .
Doom Patrol

That's interesting. I did wonder if there might be clearance issues with the beefier Indian dampers. But as luck would have it I can probably nick some skinny ones off another scooter. I suppose the plan would be to fit dampers and then the mudguard. Probably with the nylocs facing inwards then?
soullad
Dealer

yep, and maybe try some dome cap heads or even countersunk bolts for more clearance if you need it? The mudguard fixing brackets can also be "persuaded" with a large rubber mallet if you need to. ;)
Doom Patrol

If you use countersunk bolts how then can you fit the nyloc on the other end? Wouldn't the bolts just turn with no spanner to hold the bolt in place? You've successfully confused me now. :lol:
sean brady scooters
Dealer

allen key counter sunk bolts...maybe :D
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Ian Hepworth

Should have got a pic but when Broady did the damper brackets on my winter model he brazed on a plain nut on the outside "arm" of the bracket so you just need to use a screw with a spring washer and perhaps a bit of thread locker.
Angry Bloke

Doom Patrol wrote:If you use countersunk bolts how then can you fit the nyloc on the other end? Wouldn't the bolts just turn with no spanner to hold the bolt in place? You've successfully confused me now. :lol:

I just packed the mudguard out with a 1.5 nylon washers for abit of extra clearence and skinny dampers fitted fine

For the top damper bracket I used a standard bolt with a nyloc on the inside
Using a thin bicycle spanner you can still hold the head while tightening the nyloc

I think I have a photo somewhere ...... I will post it later
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

I`ve added dampers to my own scooter as well as a mates. I used standard nuts and bolts, there is room, but I`d bolt it from the inside out,with the nut outside.Just cut the bolt to length.
That way if you have any problems with your dampers,like I did, then you can remove them easily. Otherwise you`ll have to drop the forks and take off the mudguard to get the bolt out to remove the damper :oops: I discovered this the hard way.

Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
Doom Patrol

Thanks for posting the picture Bofs. That will be handy for reference material. Good advice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information