What is wrong with people?

Fun and obscure stuff, anything 'off topic' goes...
reusendrescher

I am a new member on this forum, and I would like to express my unconditional respect for the admins!

But I am frankly shocked by the lack of traffic, here and on other classic scooter forums...

Scooterotica, ScooterBBS, ScooterRally, Modernvespa (the classic section), as well as the old Message-Boards on Yahoo Groups, etc., Zuckerberg is putting all into intensive care and then cutting the lifelines.

What do we lose? A vast interactive filing system and an exchange of opinions across all of the boards, knowledgeable vs. newb being just one of them. It is a whole culture, naturally grown and collectively profound.

What do we get? FB- splintergroups with ephemeral aphorisms, here today, eternally sunk in the muds of timelines tomorrow... All under the cloak of Mr. Zuckerbergs undisputably dubious, if not criminal, ethical standards.

According to my personal research, the German Scooter Forum appears to be the last of the big ones, with about 50-100 log-ons per hour, plus unlogged guests, resulting in ca. 20 posts an hour. It's all in german, alas, so no good to most on here...

But why is this not working for the global (anglophone) community? It used to. Forums have so many very clear advantages over FB, where the discussions have been cleared away in favour of the quick answer. It's like a poor hotline, compared to the profound services of an operative forum.

Sorry, just very frustrated...
Stoink
Main scooter: 1964 Ser.3 TV175 RB225

I totally agree. Facebook has killed it. Anyone 27 and under just go to FB for news, entertainment, attention etc. People are lazy and if they feel they can get everything from one service that's what they'll do. The bigger picture of the value of privacy is dead. Sold out for access to websites. Sad
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I feel your pain. But, as you say, it is the same everywhere. I wish it wasn't so, because I enjoy the forums. Not so much now, obviously. I don't think it's entirely down to FB, but it does mirror the way a lot of people think. I think there is also a general lethargy in the scooter world. We are mostly of a similar age group, and there aren't any more coming into it. So, I suppose we've done it all, and bought the T shirts now.
reusendrescher

Forums do and can exist in our day and age, and I refuse to accept that we're a dying breed. Lots of life in the scene, still- only in the wrong place, shattered and thus, only seemingly, small.

I sincerly hope that the mechanisms of 'Zeitgeist' will help reestablish some of the old order: thesis (forums) -> anti-thesis (fb) -> synthesis (co-existence).

As pointed out earlier, the forums are generally of superior quality, hopefully people will start to appreciate this again soon. And if they do, it'll be great to have sites like this to come back to.

Quality and doing things old school are just some of the philosophies keeping the GSF very much alive and kicking, there's even a conscious element of spite: the last bastion- never surrender!

There's even a discussion about establishing an anglophone sub-forum, to catch people like us, but the admin, out of respect, wouldn't do that unless forums like this are deffo out of business.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Agree... but I still visit scooter forums too.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

it just takes a few good projects to get people involved and logging in every day and contributing, build threads are good for this, we all like pictures as they are like a thousand words, and I know some people cannot post them, so probably do a build but don't post in on here, im pretty sure there are lots of projects under way at the moment.
Muttley McLadd

There's only so many times that gearing can be explained, and where to get the best exhaust.
CakeAndArseParty
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Muttley McLadd wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:30 pm There's only so many times that gearing can be explained, and where to get the best exhaust.
I rest my case. :D
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

so many new kits available some of the new kits not getting much posted on here or the other forums but its on facebook
C’est la vie
reusendrescher

Yes... But what about tyres and 2-stroke oil? ;-)

No seriously. What gearing? What exhausts? There is so! much!!! going on right now, and it has been since this forum apparently took a nosedive 3-4 years ago... You won't even get close to getting a clear picture of this from the fragmented fb... That what forums are for.

Don't want to bore you, so here's just a few hot items launched over the past couple of years, all well worthy of meticulous discussion, from PX, through Lammy, SF, LF other and even WF:

PX: Kits BFA 306ccm, Quattrini 260, VMC 177, Malossi Sport/MHR, Quattrini M232/M244, Pinasco RS Evo 250ccm, Quattrini PX125/150 M1X or Millemiglia, Pinasco 9-Port, etc., etc. New engine cases by BFA, Malossi and Pinasco. New touring pipes from BGM, LTH plus SIP 3.0, new ignitions such as Vape for Px...

Lambretta Kits: Casa Performance SSR265, Quattrini M210, MBGM 195/225 Racetourkit, etc., as well as ignitions SIP Vape (static or variable), CP One 35 & Ducati Firefly, plus Gran Turismo engine cases and AF close ratio 5-gear speedbox. And much, much more...

SF kits Quattrini M1L60/M1B60, Malossi 136, Quattrini 200ccm, VMC GS56, Falc Racing, plus exhausts and things like GP One clutch and VMC ignition.

For Wideframes there are now kits for 12-16 bhp, for GS/SS there is a big Pinasco kit... I've not even mentioned any carbs for any of this at all...

That is, why we need forums! Not just a quick answer at a time from a hopefully trustworthy stranger on fb.

ONE of the reasons. No, I don't see a dying breed here.

Maybe a few of the good guys should be brought back specifically? To play out the strengths of what a forum actually is, compared with Zuckerbergs malfunctioning pipedream?

Just thoughts... :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information