What a tool!

Fun and obscure stuff, anything 'off topic' goes...
Snails

Or really, what's this tool? Sorry for the attention grabbing subject :D

I'm trying to fix my audi glove box and you need to remove a pin but I dont have a suitable tool to do it. My claw hammer is too splayed to grab the pin head

Any ideas? You can see the removal of the pin at about the 50 second mark in this video

https://youtu.be/13ZkG5INlLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ZkG5INlLI
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Groove on shaft, below the head, looks sufficiently deep that you might be able to feed a length of wire under and around it, then twist the ends of the wire around the shaft of something to use like a garrote to twist tight, then knock the attached garrote away, pulling the pin with it. I guess the determining factors are going to be depth of groove, strength of wire use and tightness of pin in situ.

Of course it may fail immediately but at least it's a thought ;)

Adam
Adam_Winstone

Can you not quickly fab a tool for the purpose?
thackers

How about a pair of wire cutters knocked back with a hammer whilst held onto the groove of the pin?
Snails

Adam_Winstone wrote:Can you not quickly fab a tool for the purpose?

I could possibly fabricate something, not sure about quickly though :D

I do have some sheet metal knocking about I think I may give it a try..I guess I just need to cut a groove in it as wide as the pin. Some form of lubrication might help too. I'm thinking that spray stuff I use for curtain rails and zips etc would be ideal (minds gone blank!)

Thanks for all the suggestions.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Adam_Winstone

^... exactly what I mean by fabricating a tool. All you need is something that you can grind or file a suitable notch into. Even if just a length of steel! If you have a bench grinder, dremel, files or other basic tools then I'd have thought you could 'fab' something for this single use.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Why not just get a cheap pry bar like the one in the video? If you want to improve on that grind a slot in the claw. Or use wire stripping pliers.
Snails

Scooterdude wrote:Why not just get a cheap pry bar like the one in the video? If you want to improve on that grind a slot in the claw. Or use wire stripping pliers.

Well because I didnt know what the tool was called. I do now, so that is an option. Think its a toss up between buying one or making a one off tool like adam suggested. Will probably try and make my own as dont like to spend money unnecessarily :D
Snails

Although this looks good too and is cheap enough for me!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information