Car Accident Claim

Fun and obscure stuff, anything 'off topic' goes...
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

My car was involved in an accident on which the other party admitted liability. I rang my own insurers and they advised me to get a quote for the repair and contact the other parties insurance. I rang BMW and they said don't worry we can deal with all this, we use a third party and you will be contacted shortly. I have never been in this situation before and thought great this is easy they do all the work. The next day my car was picked up and I received a temporary car. I was also told don't except any other offers of a vehicle. The car turned up I signed everything great, car repaired, then I got a call from the third party saying not to worry but the insurers of vehicle that hit me wont pay for the cost of hire car and that they were taking them to court, I have since been asked to sign a statement by a solicitor to which I don't agree with and they have since sent me documentation trying to get me to sign which states that the car was a hire car on credit and I could be liable to foot the bill if I don't comply with their wishes, in the small print of all the documentation it states I have to help them with a claim if not I am liable. At no time was this explained I naively presumed everything would be fine BMW use this company. At the moment I am signing nothing but I need advice has anybody able to offer me any. I am currently looking for my own solicitor to help me also.
The third party was Accident Exchange and I strongly recommend DONT ever use them.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Your own Insurers should be dealing with ALL of this- that is what you pay them for. To be told to "contact the others insurers" stinks.

DO NOT correspond with the other insurers/ solicitors any more- you may dig yourself into a hole. Do NOT sign ANYTHING.

Send all the correspondence to your own insurers UNANSWERED- tell them to sort it.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
coaster

bristolmod wrote:Your own Insurers should be dealing with ALL of this- that is what you pay them for. To be told to "contact the others insurers" stinks.

DO NOT correspond with the other insurers/ solicitors any more- you may dig yourself into a hole. Do NOT sign ANYTHING.

Send all the correspondence to your own insurers UNANSWERED- tell them to sort it.

Chris
I think that only applies f you have fully comp or 'claims assist' in place
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

hi li150,
if you have legal cover on your insurance then your insurance company should deal with it for you, at least youve got your car back and repaired, i wouldnt sign the paperwork if i were you either, the person that hit you is responsible for paying that, ive been through a similar experience, but i was claiming damages as i had time of work, so i had to have a solicitor, turned out i needed it, and had to go to court as well, as the person who ran into me lied and said it was my fault, maybe get back in touch with your insurance co again to see if they can help with the hire car part of the claim, or get a solicitor of your own, good luck i hope you get it sorted out,

holty
LI150

I have had my car repaired the third party are chasing the costs as even though liability was admitted they won't pay the full costs and they say if I don't help I am liable for such costs. I feel I am being stitched up and I am concerned with signing and also not signing
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I'm just wondering... Did the accident take place in a lane where there was no white line?

If so, these are 50/50 liability. This means that each party claims 50% of the repairs from the other party.
EddieStone

Also, a lot of legal places offer a free half hour consultation (basically they see whether it's worth their time getting involved). It's worth a half hour to see where you stand. I did this once and in half an hour he told me how to handle the claim (send this, claim for that, turn down the first two settlements) for nowt. I did what he said word for word.
LI150

I think my best bet is to see a solicitor. For your info it was hit by a lorry whilst parked up in Lidl car park
EddieStone

I think it's standard practice for lorry drivers to admit liability with their fingers crossed behind their back then scarper.

I had my car hit by a bin lorry once, and the guy said it was all his fault and the council will pay. Did they? Did they fck. Somehow it was my fault as I lay in bed fast asleep.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Have you got the name of the truck driver,have you got the reg.no. of his vehicle,did he accept responsibilaty,do you have an independant witness(preferably one that heard the truck driver accept responsibility)to the accident ?If the answer is yes to these questions,then the only dispute can be over the loan car.Put everything in the hands of your solicitor and sign nothing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information