Wheel Clamp (chock)

Have a service, product or something to share with the members of Scooterotica?
GLscoot
Main scooter: Vespa GS150

Im hopefully taking delivery of a hospital bed over the next few weeks and have been looking at wheel clamps so I can secure the scooter on the bed, ideally I would like two, one for the front and one for the rear. Checked the usual places on the net but mostly for motorbikes has anyone used anything else. The rear tyre won't be a problem, I can use blocks of wood , but for the front I would prefer the wheel locked in place.
Cheers
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Why?
Did you have to do that?
GLscoot

DigDug wrote:Why?
why would you not want to secure the scooter.
Muttley McLadd

If it's not on a slope, why would it move?

Have you got some sort of paddock stand to lift the front wheel off the ground?
CakeAndArseParty
DigDug

GLscoot wrote:
DigDug wrote:Why?
why would you not want to secure the scooter.
I would if I was back in the Navy. ;)

I use a hospital bed based bench and a steel one - never had the need to "secure" scooters when using either of them.

If the stand is off I just use axle stands.
Did you have to do that?
GLscoot

I also use axle stands and car jack for the rear of the scooter. Most of my work is done on vintage scooters with original and modern engines and the stands that are used on these Vespas are no where near as stable as a P range stand and the front wheel is normally only about 2/3mm of the ground. Using axle stands all the time is becoming a pain in the arse, I also have to remove and refit the engines myself. Surely having the front wheel secure and raising the rear of the scooter is much easier and safer. Anyway I really dont see what all the fuss is about Im only looking for a front wheel clamp and was hoping someone has used or got one that works with 10" wheels.
Muttley McLadd

What about one of the lifts designed for crossers? Any use?
Probably cheaper than whatever a scooter shop could sell you to lock the front down.
CakeAndArseParty
GLscoot

Crossers!! are these the scissors lift type of things.
Muttley McLadd

Yep. With a flat top.
CakeAndArseParty
DigDug

GLscoot wrote:I also use axle stands and car jack for the rear of the scooter. Most of my work is done on vintage scooters with original and modern engines and the stands that are used on these Vespas are no where near as stable as a P range stand and the front wheel is normally only about 2/3mm of the ground. Using axle stands all the time is becoming a pain in the arse, I also have to remove and refit the engines myself. Surely having the front wheel secure and raising the rear of the scooter is much easier and safer. Anyway I really dont see what all the fuss is about Im only looking for a front wheel clamp and was hoping someone has used or got one that works with 10" wheels.
Not making a fuss fella just intrigued as to why someone doing the same thing as me, working on vintage scooters all the time with the same gear needs something else that I've never had a need for. :?:

The one that came with my steel bench works - the type that grips both sides of the tyre. No use with outboard discs though.

Although - I don't do Vespa's... ;)
Did you have to do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information