Drive axle holding tool.

Have a service, product or something to share with the members of Scooterotica?
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

I'm not a dealer or shop but I am selling these because I believe they work and make the assembly job easier.

This is a must have for pulling the drive axle in to it's bearing. No more kungfu GI Joe death grip on the axle. No more bloodied knuckles. No more damaged rear bearing! Throw your hammer away. If you build more than 1 motor a year you need this tool. Slightly modified from first version to improve contact with the inside of the case. I came up with this tool when I busted a knuckle while trying to keep the axle from turning while drawing it in to the bearing.

Will post instructions if need be but it should be pretty straight forward.

Low profile laser cut stainless steel. MADE IN USA

$45 shipped in the US

$50 to the UK

SOLD OUT! Thank you!

If there is enough demand I'll do up another run.
Last edited by Grumpy225 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
theageofindustry
Dealer
Main scooter: 74 Vijai Super

Quite possibly the coolest new scooter innovation to come out of the US in years! I already own one and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone serious about building Lambretta motors.
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

For those of you who asked here are the instructions.

The correct operation of the tool is to:

Insert layshaft (with shift spider installed) by hand as far as it will go with out banging it in to place.
Attach holding tool with shift spider in neutral or second gear on the axle
Attach pulling sleeve and nut (I have several old bearing races that I use since I've never been able to use the correct sleeve affectivley)
Turn axle nut clockwise to tighten until it starts to pull the axle
Now with one hand on the holding tool with its end around stud #1 and the other on the wrench start to tighten the nut and the axle will start to be drawn home.

Important part here; use short turns. Turn then release, 1/8-1/4 turn at a time. This way the tool can reset its position and not force the axle off angle. The majority of the time the tool will want to rest against the #1 stud. Use an old endplate nut on the stud to protect the threads.
Continue until the axle is all the way home. No need to torque to spec just make sure it's all the way. Later with the hub in place you can torque to spec.

That's it. Once the axle is in place continue on with installing the shift yoke, gear box, end plate, clutch etc.

Second note, I have found that with the tools being exact laser cut they might have a harder time fitting on Indian drive axles. All the Italian ones I've test fitted were perfect but the Indian ones are not quite as exact. What does that mean to you? It means you might have to file the tabs slightly on the tool to get it to fit nice.

I will go over the remaining tools and test fit with my Indian axle before shipping out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information