Handlebar choke kit /cooling/tuning aid/engine saver

Have a service, product or something to share with the members of Scooterotica?
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

Product

Remote handlebar mounted choke with lambretta fixing kit

Contents

Aluminium choke lever and clamp assembly
Stainless laser cut 6 point adjustable fixing plate
Stainless button head fixings
Best quality extra long teflon lined choke cable
Stainless solderless cable nipple
Fitting/tuning guide

Background
around 12 years ago i started racing 2 strokes again in endurance racing events that i once did at 17 many many yrs ago ,i always used remote handlebar chokes as they are a device i used to great effect as a tuning tool
Having dialled in the jetting either on the dyno or at a previous track with ever changing conditions and in 6 hr endurance racing events the jetting changes considerably ,if it changed for the worse you can end up running lean so having the handlebar choke allowed us to richen up the jetting and cool off the motor when temp rose too high to avoid engine failure
prior to a race in practice i would engage the choke to see if it 4 stroked(too rich) or if it went a bit better with the extra fuel (too lean/or too hot) depending on how it behaved along with barometric checks i would make jetting changes to get the best out of it ,with a marked off throttle the test can be easily applied at different throttle positions

Uses and Benefits

When fitting to a classic scooter there are various uses and benefits that can be had that when the choke is mounted in its std position you cannot capitalize on
Anyone who has tried using a std choke whilst riding will at least once have found themselves either in the gutter or on the wrong side of the road

1 to help set up jetting
2 if you suspect a fault ,faulty ignition,dodgy fuel,air leaks,blown gaskets,blocked jets to richen the jetting and make the engine safer
3 use on extended distance hard riding to cool the motor/enrichen
4 easy starting adjust throttle and choke instantly

ive made 15 up and all but 2 are spoken for then ive got a batch of 30 i should have completed in a week or 2 max
the kit has 7 components to it from 4 different suppliers/post etc. and time i put in making the kits up ive set an asking price of £39 with a possibility of a small discount for quantity orders or dealers buying 10+kits

if you have a race lambretta the lever /clamp and cable can be supplied and a simple bracket to wrap round the bars can be fabricated or a vespa or an auto the bracket coulb be utilised in one way or another
Last edited by Darrell Taylor on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

Oooh I Like that :fb: you'd have to drill the head set?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

possibly or the horncasting or thru an existing hole with the brake hose

or any better ideas anyone might have

forgot to mention it screws on at the side of the throttle into the 2 existing fixing points and is pressed with your thumb which when fully in returns your thumb back to the grip
i have pics on my phone of one fitted up but need to work out how to upload
Last edited by Darrell Taylor on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

just for the cable routing
giankx

Wow, just what i was thinking about in these weeks....
I thought to build one that i could engage between the toolbox door and the seat, but on the handlebars it is mile better!
soulsurfer

Are these for sale Darrell?
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

sorry i need to finish the first post and include more details,i broke off for my tea
,in short yes they are, ive made 15 up and all but 2 are spoken for then ive got a batch of 30 i should have completed in a week or 2 max
the kit has 7 components to it from 4 different suppliers/post etc. and time i put in making the kits up ive set an asking price of £39 with a possibility of a small discount for quantity orders or dealers buying 10+kits

if you have a race lambretta the lever /clamp and cable can be supplied and a simple bracket to wrap round the bars can be fabricated or a vespa or an auto the bracket coulb be utilised in one way or another
tarmac tickler

pm sent
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Last edited by wack 63 on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

just at wide open throttle its used ,although on a carb thats not set up if you find at a part throttle position it goes better with the choke on it can tell you the pilot or needle etc is too lean,i covered it with Daz along with the jetting and barometric charts i provided when he came for dyno
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information