New electronic kit anyone?

Have a service, product or something to share with the members of Scooterotica?
Rich_T
Dealer
Main scooter: Li Special

Yes,

There is a complete list of parts, you can go DIY, bottle out half way through and buy the bits you need off the shelf as an when. The pricing is transparent so you don't ge skinned if you come back for a particular part OTS.

One of the other things I'm investigating for the second generation of looms is electronic fuel injection. With this type of ignition EFi is possible and a 3D ignition map would be very beneficial.
RICSPEED

Rich_T wrote: electronic fuel injection.
whoa :shocking:

now that has been lurking in the back of my mind for some time :geek:
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
AUSSIE

this kit keeps getting better and better
watch the price of rs 125 parts go up on ebay now...lol
can I ask why the pick up is on a lever? and do the CDI units have built in advance/retard?
Rich_T
Dealer

AUSSIE wrote:this kit keeps getting better and better
watch the price of rs 125 parts go up on ebay now...lol
can I ask why the pick up is on a lever? and do the CDI units have built in advance/retard?
The CDI has built in auto advance and retard. Additional to that the pick up position can be adjusted from outside of the mag housing. This is achieved with the lever and a hole cut in the bottom of the mag housing (SIL donor housings are advisable if you have a nice original bike). The lever has an arrow lasered into it and the idea is that you mark your ignition points on your fan cowling. This means that the lever is used to physically move the pickup position and indicate the degrees of advance for the datum.

Some git out bid me on a loom this afternoon, I think the days of snaffling 99p looms are on the way out. I am in the process of finding new CDI connectors so that the need to source a donor loom is not required BUT this is likely to take 3-4 months. I have about 15 looms in the garage so it will be OK for a while yet.
Rich_T
Dealer

New pictures, the first few stators have quite a large amount of adjustment to the pickup position. This is to make sure we can achieve any position. Once I have a couple of systems running I can cut the adjustment position down by a least half. This means the hole in the mag housing will be at least 10mm smaler (the one in the picture is a bit on the large side as I did it by hand. The plan is that the CNC items will be smack on and the stator will virtually slid into position.

Here you can see the arrow marked on the lever. This mag housing is for a water cooled engine so it has had a large portion of the flange removed, Normally water cooled set ups do not use the lever as access to the faxings are not a problem. You can imagine, with a full mag flange, that the tip of the lever just protrudes from the edge of the flange, enough that you can see the arrow tip and any markings you make in the fan cowling.

With the fan fitted.

Side view of assembly.

Assembly of stator in position
soullad
Dealer

looks the dogs ..
Rich - did you look into fan design by chance? Would it be fair to assume that Innocenti R&d got it as efficient as possible without alot more investment in prototypes / testing etc.
I've always thought that a fan design that was proven to move more cc of air per second into the cylinder cowling than the regular unit would be a must have for every air cooled lambretta owner?
Rich_T
Dealer

The fan blade profile is not the same a the original. look closely and you'll see that the inner edges are raked forward and the outer edges are more radial to the centre. The centre of radius of the fan profile is also larger (a less curved blade). Efficiencies of fans are hugely dependent on their tip clearance from the housing. In the case of Lambretta cowlings which are all over the place, it would not make sense to run calculations when cowlings can be 2-3mm different between engines.

There are some other factors too, like if you move more air then it takes power out of your crank, or if you do move more air do you increase the temperature differential between the L/H and R/H side of the cylinder and therefore increase the thermal deflection in the barrel? Then, to the purists...does it look like a Lambretta? All of which, I'm not really going to loose any sleep over.
Rich_T
Dealer

All done and working a charm. The build manual is complete and can be found here:

http://www.granturismo.pwp.blueyonder.c ... nition.htm

Everything is explained really well in the manual if you're interested to get one. I've done a couple of nice custom looms with build in relays for spots, horns etc and cigar lighters for charging cell phones and sat navs.

Eden if you could move this topic to the products section that would be great.
Stokie

Looks well trick and no doubt it works too.
But I want to see a video of the CNC in action carving out the fan - afterall all's fair in love and competition right ? :wink:
RICSPEED

Rich_T wrote: Eden if you could move this topic to the products section that would be great.
if you mean dealers section then your wish is granted :P
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information