Series 2 Li125 (AKA Slowly does it)

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
Ian Hepworth

Just MOT'd my series 2, taxing it tomorrow then I can start using it

I've been doing it for 17 years! Bought it in 1993, stripped it down in 1995, got the frame, leggies and mudguard painted in 1997 (the leggies and mudguard needed a lot of work - I was going to paint the rest myself).

Ended up putting the rest in for spraying in 1998 just before I moved up north. Picked most of it up in 2000 but the side panels weren't done.
Went down to get the panels in 2004 (while I was down in London) and the sprayer came out and said he'd forgotten to paint the inside of them! Eventually got them when a customer from down that way came up to MB to collect his engine.

Kind of lost heart with it then, was going to sell it or re-do it. I've learned so much in the meantime, there is so much I'd change. Stuff like not taking the chrome ring off to get it rechromed etc.

Max at work said he'd finish off building it in return for some vega parts he was after so it's ready.

Engine was done by MB about 10 years ago. Original AF electronic, li150 box, 28mm phbh dellorto, 175 barrel bored out to 200 and ceramic lined, stage 4 tune. Exhaust is an MB clubman I got about 15 years ago.

It's picked up a few chips from storage etc so it won't win any prizes but it gets me back on the road after 5 years, it should inspire me to get on with another one. This one will just get ridden and abused and kept on the road at all costs.

Took it for the MOT today, really pleased with it, it pulls really well. You can just sit in 4th at 30 and wind the throttle on and it just revs and revs.

Broady talked me into sticking it on the dyno, he was wanting to see what a 10 year old engine with a 14 year old exhaust would do.

Red line is hp, green is torque. Not crazy hp, it just builds and builds and build. Loads of torque right across the rev range, should pull well uphill etc.
He was pleased with it, says it would be a lovely rideable engine, should rev on to allow me to go high 70s.

Thanks go to Matty for talking me out of selling it/stripping it down and starting it again, Max for finishing it off for me and Broady for the dyno session.
Dazza
Main scooter: S3 LI Rapido 225

Very nice Ian :)
If it aint broke.........tinker with it.....
marburys

I like it very good
Lazarus

Hi Ian nice post and scooter looks good as well m8 could you expand on the part about the 200 barrel being ceramic lined do you mean the same as TS1 etc and what were your reasons for doing this.
I had thought of having this done to my new baby 200 steel lined ally barrel kit on 150 casings hoping to just improve longevity but was put of by my local shop saying it would be a wast of money. :?
and a question for any one else out there reading this if done to my totally bog standard barrel and piston what should the gap between the 2 be after coating :?:
cheers
Ian Hepworth

Lazarus wrote:Hi Ian nice post and scooter looks good as well m8 could you expand on the part about the 200 barrel being ceramic lined do you mean the same as TS1 etc and what were your reasons for doing this.
I had thought of having this done to my new baby 200 steel lined ally barrel kit on 150 casings hoping to just improve longevity but was put of by my local shop saying it would be a wast of money. :?
and a question for any one else out there reading this if done to my totally bog standard barrel and piston what should the gap between the 2 be after coating :?:
cheers
When you bore out a 175 barrel to 66mm you haven't really got any oversizes so I the barrel was sent for ceramic lining. I understand that none of the plating companies will do this now on Iron barrels, not sure what I'll do if/when the barrel wears out. Perhaps put a steel liner in at 64mm which would give me 4 oversizes. Not worried about that at the moment, will cross that bridge when i come to it.
paulc

ice ages don't last that long : )

nice tidy scoot there fella
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

The seat looks good on it. Seems more suited to a S2.
soullad
Dealer

At last ..... well done . Nice to see you have your own runaround finally. So see you on the Gijon Ferry in June then? ;) ;)
So, (taking the dangling carrot with eyes wide open) any chance of any info on an "MB Clubman" :D :D
Andy Pickering
Main scooter: GP

Like it a lot Ian, sort of falling for series 2s at the minute..toddys and this has got me thinking... :!:
Ricspeed, gone but never forgotten RIP my friend #59
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

Lam46 wrote:Like it a lot Ian, sort of falling for series 2s at the minute..toddys and this has got me thinking... :!:
Thinking-you,I didn't realise they could be connected

Is there no end to your talents!!!

As far as I knew all you could do was eat stew and drink Strongbow,next you'll tell us that you ride a Lambretta!! ;) :D
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information