Eighties throwback

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

ok, so everytime I go out on the Lammie I come home, and get the spanners out, onto MB, etc, for more parts to fettle, tune and refine her a little more. Great, but I end up off the road as much as on the road, what I needed was that turn key reliability I had back in the eighties, perhaps with a bit more poke. Those P200's that would take me to rallies up and down the country.

A project for the new year, to buy and tune a good P2, or build one from a donor bike and fit a motor of choice from EB's extensive menu

The price of Vespa PX's make the eyes water, then the cost of rebuild, paint, tuning, really do begin to add up.
I saw that Vivo had a number of parts for sale, so looked like I may be able to build from new parts very economically. After a call to Adam at Vivo I was in the car and down for a chat quicker than you could say lml. Adam was keen and could see what I was after, the solution, Adam could provide a full bike, less engine, at a knockdown price, quite simply the most cost efficient base for my project with the added benefit that it would be registered as new so saving on Mot for three years,

I must say that if you get the chance, call into Vivo for a chat and you'll discover very quickly that you're dealing with guys with a passion for scooters, and only scooters, innovation and progress, I was quickly sold on a new red LML Toscana.
So the new bike was ordered, and no sooner was I home and I was online obtaining all the retro lights, indicators, badges, and trim, a friend donating a NOS standard seat from his loft in my pursuit of my eighties replica.
I also put a call into EB for the motor, again EB's passion shines through, fully appreciating what I was up to, and turning up trumphs with the offer to provide the new motor with LML stator and wiring so it really should be plug and go.

The frame/bike arrived and I set about making my changes, and last week my engine arrived from EB, so she's installed and it looks like a busy weekend to put some miles on her and get her bedded in. Hopfully all going well I'll be doing "Highland Scoot" on her in a couple of weeks.

hope you like it.

Last edited by ricalnic on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scooterslag

Lovely paint, not bad for a lardie :D
The mack daddy on the left!
scoothappy
Main scooter: GP200

very nice! reminds me of one i let go. :cry:
ArmandTanzarian

I like that a lot.

Around how much did the whole project cost? Surely it can't have been cheaper to build a whole scoot from spares than just buy a reasonable P2 and then do it up. There's a nice looking P2 disk on ebay at the moment sat at £1600 with a day left to run.

Also (and excuse my ignorance - I know less than feck all about Vespas) who are EB? If my fiendish plan comes together I might be needing a good P2 lump soon.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
shocky

ArmandTanzarian wrote:I like that a lot.

Around how much did the whole project cost? Surely it can't have been cheaper to build a whole scoot from spares than just buy a reasonable P2 and then do it up. There's a nice looking P2 disk on ebay at the moment sat at £1600 with a day left to run.

Also (and excuse my ignorance - I know less than feck all about Vespas) who are EB? If my fiendish plan comes together I might be needing a good P2 lump soon.
http://www.eddybullet.com/
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

The primary benefit for me was that everything was new, no MOT for three years and the only labour in the build was commisioning the engine.
The Toscana models are slightly different in that they don't have holes in panel and legshields, compared to the base LML model.
Had I went for the base LML and one of Eddie Bullets (EB) std P2 engines, then could have been on the road for less than £2k. Which I think is very reasonable.
ArmandTanzarian

ricalnic wrote: Had I went for the base LML and one of Eddie Bullets (EB) std P2 engines, then could have been on the road for less than £2k. Which I think is very reasonable.
Very reasonable indeed for a new scoot.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
skidmark

Top Job!! and a great idea ;) its a shame more people don't take a similar route instead of selling out and buying GTS's :roll:
Cec

I like what you've done there ;)

I usually frown on people that rebadge LML's( they are a quality scooter in their own right) just to make it look like a Vespa but I like the amount of thought you've put into it. Well done.

BTW I tried out the new LML 4 stroke last week at Eddie Bullets open day and I was well impressed 8-)
shocky

skidmark wrote:Top Job!! and a great idea ;) its a shame more people don't take a similar route instead of selling out and buying GTS's :roll:
most dont sell out they move on or add to there 2 wheeled collection , the desire to have a scooter with sustainable real speed @ over 70mph and the ability to carry 2 largish people in comfort along with 2 disc brakes excellent headlights and 80+mpg and no oil to mix is a major selling point for me, plus mine( GTS300) was a low mileage (200miles) machine for £2750 and in the last year has cost me err £60 for a service which is less than i spent just replacing the clutch plates springs and steels on my last ts1
ALSO the OP didnt post how much he paid for the frame i suspect he got a bargain there that would not be available to most people so the cost viability would put a few off then theres the Italian v Indian angle ..........................................
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information