Series 2 Li 150

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
TheSeeker

Hi Folks

I heard about this scoot for sale a couple of weeks ago on the Geuzentour, a ride out in the south of Brussels. Drove over to Liege last week to buy it.

Really good original paint, dusty underneath but it just needs a good clean and will come up well with a bit of wax polish. It even has the original tool roll and keys. The seller said he hadn't used it for eight years which sounded about right to me. It wouldn't start but apparently petrol can go off in just six months. Got my hands dirty draining the old petrol. It had been in there eight years and you can really smell the difference, no fumes at all, just a dull oily liquid. For some reason it was inky black but with the two stroke oil mixed in seems to have preserved the inside of the tank. I also opened the float bowl of the carb and cleaned the thin filter before sponging all of the old fuel out of the bowl with a clean rag. Put it all back together with a bit of new plastic pipe, some new petrol and it started second kick. It appears to run quite well although this was out the back so it was only turning the engine over.

He gave me the paperwork. First registered in Belgium 1960. I reckon it might even win "best barn find" if I entered it in the Antwerp custom show in March. :) Got the insurance papers though on Friday and managed to register it in my lunch break in record time. The main Belgian DVLA (DIV) is not so far from my house so I went along and submitted the papers in person. There is no equivalent of the MOT test for motorbikes in Belgium so they handed over the new documents and number plate and I'm on the road.

Before I saw the scoot I just had some pictures from the seller and I thought "ok lets fit my Imola engine with a big carb and make it a mutant beast". But now I see that it's something worth preserving even if it will be slower than everyone else.

I did think about the mildest of "non-invasive" upgrades like a JL4 curly exhaust pipe and some higher jetting. Has anyone tried this exhaust with a standard series 2 carb? I'd love to hear what carb setup you used.

Best regards

Ben
damdam

one of the best preserved lambrettas ever seen!! Keep it as it is!

cheers

Dam
-----Besa Boga Scooter Alliance-----
-----------Reggio Emilia----------
--------------Italy---------------

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/besa ... ef=profile
jackpot

i do'nt know how you find em,love it
ON MY SCOOT OR NOT AT ALL
Mr Ed

Please keep it as it is.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

excellent find!
yeah, I'd be inclined to leave it as is.
a mate came round on a standard GP150 that I had put together earlier in the year.
it starts first time with the slightest of prods, then sits there going putt-putt-putt until he gently pulls off down the road. he will just use it for its intended purpose, popping to the shops and bimbling about town, not using much fuel and not stressing the engine at all.
almost made me want to have a standard scooter, but I know I couldn't leave it alone
shamrockexpress

Nice scoot would be the perfect base for a cutdown project :D :D
All those nice clean lines and smooth panels would really give you a good straight cut with the grinder :bouncing: :bouncing:

As for the engine i agree its so original i,d keep it standard,,,,,,,,,,,,,cutdown chops are not very stable at speed :D
scotmod
Main scooter: Series 3 Li150

Be a shame to touch it IMHO

Cracking find, who cares if it doesn't break the land speed record you've got a very rare beast there. :D :D
But it's not just about the speed is it?
Richjak

I read your write up before i saw the pictures and when i did i thought you were taking the p155 !! :D the scooter in the photos is absolutely beautiful, i was expecting to see an original but bashed up and rusty old series 2.

Please keep this as it is, it is such a rare example of an original Lambretta.
When youre cruising on a scooter like this just chill and enjoy the ride dont worry youre only doing 45-50 MPH after all thats what these bad boys were designed for.

I am so jealous.
BOTAK ITU INDAH.
TheSeeker

Hi Folks

A quick update on this scooter. Following the advice above I've kept it standard and it's perfect for riding around town. It has absolutely no power but is so smooth and quiet that it doesn't matter. Gear change is wonderful compared to the other three engines I've rebuilt myself, it still has that straight from the factory feel. I had to change the plug after having some warm start problems but other than that it's as I found it.

After being mostly ignored over here Series 1 and 2 scoots are being re-evaluated. Fajes from Antwerp started a Facebook group which you may have seen and I know several people with new S1/2 projects. I think people didn't like the bulky, heavy bodies and dated looks but what goes around comes around. It took me a while to figure out that heavy meant thicker metal and better quality castings and components.

Best regards

Ben
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information