Council Estate Custom

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

I’ve had this one for a little over six years now... stripped it all down to bare parts not log after I bought it and then immediately lost interest - so its sat in the shed till around two weeks ago, when I pulled it out into the day light to have another look at it.

I didn’t want to do a full blown resto & go to the expense of getting it painted - just clean it up & put it back together... so set to with the pressure washer to clean off all the Spanish crud from the frame & panels, which subsequently also removed most of the dark blue paint to reveal what was left of the original paint under.

So I Set about it with some acetone & thinners to try & get the rest of the dark blue off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cartmel808

cartmel808 wrote:I’ve had this one for a little over six years now... stripped it all down to bare parts not log after I bought it and then immediately lost interest - so its sat in the shed till around two weeks ago, when I pulled it out into the day light to have another look at it.

I didn’t want to do a full blown resto & go to the expense of getting it painted - just clean it up & put it back together... so set to with the pressure washer to clean off all the Spanish crud from the frame & panels, which subsequently also removed most of the dark blue paint to reveal what was left of the original paint under.

So I Set about it with some acetone & thinners to try & get the rest of the dark blue off

So I Set about it with some acetone & thinners to try & get the rest of the dark blue off.
My initial joy at seeing the og paint soon faded though... as they say - they’ve usually been painted for a reason!

cartmel808

Despite the poor condition of the og paint, I still didn’t want to get t blasted & painted - so I smoothed it all down with scotch pads & gave it all a couple of coats of clear lacquer to seal it. The paint looks even worse in the flesh than in the pics - but its all relatively straight (despite some historic panel beating work from previous crash damage) and all of the tin work is 100% solid witness not one bit of rot anywhere.Image

cartmel808

I stated putting it back together last weekend and got the new new loom & cables ran through the frame, riveted the floor runners on, which wasn’t too bad s I re-used the original runners - fitted the leggie trims & tool box - plus fitted & wired the rear light, horn & brake light switch & wax oiled the frame tunnel... so that was all of the shitty jobs out of the way.

cartmel808

Had another go last night & managed to get the fork & front end in aswell as the engine... so it’s now sitting on its wheels & this is pretty much where I’m up to.

cartmel808

Everything underneath the panels in new & upgraded - with a nice kitted PX 221 Reed motor, quality suspension, hydraulic disc brake, Tubeless rims, ect...
The vision in my head was more of preserved, survivor look - but this does look very scruffy & more of just a neglected, scruffy rat... however I am growing more & more fond of it each time I look at it .....Shiney bikes are so over rated!

Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Nice work. Really like the look of it as is!👍
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

thats a cracking job cartmell 808 it looks great the patina it sat well on your workmate did you bolt it down
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Looks lovely and I'm in about the same situation myself with an LI. I'll bet you wouldn't be doing this if Shaun was still around though 😢.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

I think that looks brilliant,
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information