Semi hydraulic inboard brake

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

As there was a complaint about lack of pictures and discussion, here are some pictures of my new brake.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Which hub is that?

Drum or disc links?

I like your thinking on the cable fixing I was thinking of doing something similar with a pull type master cylinder.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
hendy

rosscla wrote:Which hub is that?

Drum or disc links?

I like your thinking on the cable fixing I was thinking of doing something similar with a pull type master cylinder.
Disc links from mb. I know you can get cheaper but I'm fed up of buying sub standard gear.

The hub is part of a complete inboard disc from beedspeed. Quite a lot of fettling. I opened up the holes etc. Also, some minor parts were missing like the screw for the fixed pad. I replaced the original pads with sintered but had to skim 2 or 3mm from each one so that they'd fit.

Those rope grips work better than I'd expected.

Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

dont like the angle of ya cable coming out of adjuster screw; it’ll rub the inner cable cable am thinkin it cud fray were it rubs
C’est la vie
hendy

Muppet wrote:dont like the angle of ya cable coming out of adjuster screw; it’ll rub the inner cable cable am thinkin it cud fray were it rubs
Good point. The adjuster screw is slotted so I left it in a position where The slot is out of contact with the inner. I'm not sure how to resolve your point though. I'll take a look tomorrow afternoon when the lager wears off. Remember this is hidden away, so if it fails it'll be a rather unpleasant surprise.

All suggestions welcome.

coaster

hendy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm
Muppet wrote:dont like the angle of ya cable coming out of adjuster screw; it’ll rub the inner cable cable am thinkin it cud fray were it rubs
Good point. The adjuster screw is slotted so I left it in a position where The slot is out of contact with the inner. I'm not sure how to resolve your point though. I'll take a look tomorrow afternoon when the lager wears off. Remember this is hidden away, so if it fails it'll be a rather unpleasant surprise.

All suggestions welcome.

I can see what Muppet means but that looks like its in a 'relaxed' position, I would imagine that the tension pulls it straighter when being operated or are those thimble clamps rubbing on the cylinder and holding the cable at that 'cocked' angle? Generous dollop of grease will help.
coaster

I also have one of these brakes and did the same mods as you except that the Scootopia sintered pads needed nothing more than rubbing the paint off the edges to make sure they didn't stick. Mine uses an external master cylinder but it works very well, the MOT guy got it to lock up on his rollers!!
hendy

coaster wrote:
hendy wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

All suggestions welcome.

I can see what Muppet means but that looks like its in a 'relaxed' position, I would imagine that the tension pulls it straighter when being operated or are those thimble clamps rubbing on the cylinder and holding the cable at that 'cocked' angle? Generous dollop of grease will help.
First of the 2 pictures shows the cable under maximum tension. Second with no tension at all. In both pictures it's rubbing against the starboard side of the adjuster.

If I slot the mounting holes of the mounting bracket it will align so that it makes no (or very little) contact with the adjuster.

hendy

coaster wrote:I also have one of these brakes and did the same mods as you except that the Scootopia sintered pads needed nothing more than rubbing the paint off the edges to make sure they didn't stick. Mine uses an external master cylinder but it works very well, the MOT guy got it to lock up on his rollers!!
Reall? I couldn't even get the master cylinder to sit flush!

In the second picture you can see the difference between the pads.

Bad batch?ImageImage

coaster

Mine cylinder sits flush but I did have an issue with the piston sticking now I think of it but I noticed it before I fitted it. Had a bit of trouble getting the piston out so that I could give it a rub with some wet & dry. Is you piston going all the way in?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information