Leak down test. Sorry wrong section.

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Hi all, I knocked up a homemade leak down kit and it appears to work very well. There was a small leak between the exhaust gasket and the cover plate that I made. I sorted that but have now noticed a leak from the side casing which can only be from the crank side oil seal. Now I'm using a compressor via a tyre valve to pump air in as I don't own a footpump or bicycle pump. I'm sure I've read somewhere you need no more than 5psi to do this test. I'm sure when I fitted the crank it went past the seal without popping or damaging it. I took my time and rotated the crank and both it and the seal were well lubricated. I'm hoping ( really really hoping ) I'm just putting too much air in and it's simply just getting past the seal rather than I've blown it out with too much pressure? Could anyone tell me how much pressure these seals ( Rolf ) are designed to withhold before they leak and if it goes beyond it are they fooked? I obviously don't want to strip the whole top end down if I don't need too. Thanks in advance Pete.
  • Information