SCOMADI at Intermot show

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
shean_avfc

bristolmod wrote:just about f@@king sums it up.

Oh your'e a mod what would you know about scooters!!
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

I agree wholeheartedly with BM, riding illegally without insurance is just effin selfish and totally irresponsible.
Deserves a lengthy ban when you get caught IMO.

There is an irony though, that you can't ride legally a bog standard Sx200 on a provisional licence, whilst at the same time the scooter wouldn't be powerful enough to use to take a test on. Go figure that?
DigDug

oneday wrote:Not passing comment on people's choices just wondered how many people without the correct licences ride 125s with bigger engines or do not declare bike modifications to insurers?

Sure we all remember doing it back in the day but now we are all grown up guess nobody does? :D
Back in my day you just got on with it, passed your test and rode what the feck you wanted.

Most people attain a certain level of social responsibility when reaching adulthood so yes people's outlook does change.

We used to let our dog crap everywhere and not bother about picking it up - wouldn't dream of doing that now.

Just saying like.
Did you have to do that?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

shean_avfc wrote:
bristolmod wrote:just about f@@king sums it up.

Oh your'e a mod what would you know about scooters!!
Go look up "Ironic" in the English Oxford Dictionary- its somewhere between the "H" and the "J" section.

And yes- I know feck all about scooters only having just bought myself into the scene.........
Scootering since 1968.
shean_avfc

I wouldn't mind if I was asking about an 1100cc engine.. I'm asking about something that does about 35mph more than a 125cc!! 50cc & 125cc are dangerous for our roads! Doing 50mph being overtaken lorry is f@@king scary! But as usual the to gooders in the world think they know best!
shean_avfc

And why is you can learn to drive a car any engine size yet scooters and motorbikes only 125cc?
shocky

shean_avfc wrote:And why is you can learn to drive a car any engine size yet scooters and motorbikes only 125cc?
If you cant analyse your own question and come up with an inteligent answer without an adult helping you then im guessing you wouldn't want to hear the propper answer :D
I think the step up way to get to riding larger cc machines is good in principle but maybe the base line should change, but I guess uk wide it would only effect a few thousand lazy people who cant be arsed or dont have the ability to pass a full motorcycle test
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Swat
Main scooter: AF Rayspeed S type GP225

As
A) The owner of a driving school (not motorcycles)
B) the parent of a lad with a 125cc KTM motorbike

I'd make the following observations
-In principle, the stepped licence acquisition process makes sense (& will probably filter its way across to car licences in time) It's obviously aimed at youngsters with more money than sense leaping onto 100cc 150mph missiles.
- The downside is that 'classic' Scooters having relatively large cc to bhp output are somewhat penalised - My Lammy is a 225cc rapido 'S' type & I have to wring its neck to keep up with my lads KTM -
The outcome is my lad, despite having passed his bike test, cannot (due to being 18) not ride my Lammy - thereagain the short travel suspension, non ABS brakes, and slightly wayward handling would probably terrify him !!

The obvious answer is to do the bike test, he did it no bother on basis of a year spent on a 50cc Derbi Senda plus 2 hours skills brushing up with local trainer. total cost less than £200 quid inc DSA theory & proactical test fees- a small price to pay.
DigDug

Sage advice... 8-)
Did you have to do that?
Speed Demon
Dealer

Swat wrote:As
A) The owner of a driving school (not motorcycles)
B) the parent of a lad with a 125cc KTM motorbike

I'd make the following observations
-In principle, the stepped licence acquisition process makes sense (& will probably filter its way across to car licences in time) It's obviously aimed at youngsters with more money than sense leaping onto 100cc 150mph missiles.
- The downside is that 'classic' Scooters having relatively large cc to bhp output are somewhat penalised - My Lammy is a 225cc rapido 'S' type & I have to wring its neck to keep up with my lads KTM -
The outcome is my lad, despite having passed his bike test, cannot (due to being 18) not ride my Lammy - thereagain the short travel suspension, non ABS brakes, and slightly wayward handling would probably terrify him !!

The obvious answer is to do the bike test, he did it no bother on basis of a year spent on a 50cc Derbi Senda plus 2 hours skills brushing up with local trainer. total cost less than £200 quid inc DSA theory & proactical test fees- a small price to pay.
The problem with the new system is that he has several more "small price to pay" to move on to bigger categories of bike, and frankly that's bullshit. We never had to do it and I don't see why he should either.

He's proved himself competent once, why does he need to do it again to ride a bigger bike? It's only the same test with a slightly faster machine and his 125 probably does the national speed limit anyway.

Of course if ran a motorcycle training school then it might suit me to have youngsters taking several tests rather than just one, but as a parent purely it seem like just bleeding people to repeat the same test on a slightly bigger bike.

It's like having to take a test to write with a pencil, only to be told you need to take another test if you want to use a pen!
Get to SULK
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information