finally on the road!!!

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

You've done a very nice job there and it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name ;)
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

dapper wrote:You've done a very nice job there and it's always nice to be able to put a face to a name ;)

Does that mean you've had a shave? ;)
Did you have to do that?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

itwillrunproperly wrote:Still needs to be run in, don't no why she's so smoky, using SIP fully syn oil 3% mix.
Don't quote me on this, but it's not a good idea to run in on fully synth. I always understood it stops the rings and barrel wearing to each other. Possibly that's why it's smoking like a good un. The rings aren't seating properly.
itwillrunproperly
Main scooter: Lambretta 1962 S3 Li125

Doom Patrol wrote:
itwillrunproperly wrote:Still needs to be run in, don't no why she's so smoky, using SIP fully syn oil 3% mix.
Don't quote me on this, but it's not a good idea to run in on fully synth. I always understood it stops the rings and barrel wearing to each other. Possibly that's why it's smoking like a good un. The rings aren't seating properly.

That's a very interesting and valid point, what do others think? I know 2-strokes do smoke a bit but to me I don't remember seeing this amount of smoke, It does really smell like 2-stroke oil burning that sweet smell you get and not crankcase oil, as I say I covered the exhaust she cuts almost immediately, so guessing the drive seal is ok. I wonder if I drain the fuel/oil mix out (just filled her up with oil/fuel mix 8ltrs :( ) and try what? a mineral based oil? Semi-synth oil? Ideas please as this is a new cylinder/piston set-up :) and will :cry: if Its damaged
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

People do swear by mineral oils for running in initially and you can get some good ones. Probably a good idea is to go down to the local motorbike shop and see what the kids are using in their peds. You can work your way up to a good semi. :D
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

I tend to use semi synth at 4% running in.

I also do a lot of "short sharp cycles" ( cold start; blat around the side streets for 2 or 3 miles; up and down the box; use the engine braking a lot; back to base and let cool- then repeat)

I tend to give the engine a fair bit of welly in each gear but DON'T let it labour or overheat.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
itwillrunproperly

cheers - will drain off fuel tank and try over w/e :-)
Scootissimo

Are those drops?
itwillrunproperly

yea they be :-) Originally had TV/SX throttle bits but found that the GP ones worked better, deepened the cable slots as the throttle and gear cables tended to ride out of their grooves due to the acute angle of the handlebars, work fine now
itwillrunproperly

Doom Patrol wrote:People do swear by mineral oils for running in initially and you can get some good ones. Probably a good idea is to go down to the local motorbike shop and see what the kids are using in their peds. You can work your way up to a good semi. :D
Apart from one m/c shop, Zero everything else unfortunately :shock: What I have ordered though is Putoline semi-synthetic, so hopefully will sort excessive smoking out, always think the worse ie; blown seals, head blowing etc, compression is really good, so I think the semi-syn will help alleviate the smoke until shes settled down a bit..... :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information