Shed Find (My Shed)

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Been out supporting the lad in his Gala swimming event tonight so only had half an hour footering in the shed tonight.

Fitted a battery tray to the rear of the tool box.

Looks like it belongs there from the side.

I also added a little bracing inside to help support the weight.

And given that the missus rarely looks in the dishwasher I thought this was a fairly safe operation. :twisted:

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

Well after turning the shed inside out for a couple of days looking for the bridge piece three turn up at once.

I sprayed the best two up in white and did the airscoop too.

A night or two later I went to fit a battery in the battery tray and at this point discovered that there was no way the SIP 9Ah battery I had intended using was going into the space and also that there was little chance of getting any sort of battery in at all from the side. Out comes the tool box and the jigsaw was applied to the side of the Vespa tray.

A standard YB5 type battery fits nicely.

I've temporarily connected it to the main loom and still have lights. I have a load of spare wirey bits like the SIP control box, battery isolator switch and the fuse holder to try and recall how to wire up now.

Meanwhile having discovered the horncast I'd spent hours prepping and painting in English blue doesn't fit I start comparing it with my original one. I found that it seems to be about 3-4 mm narrower than the original Italian one. The top and bottom edges actually fit inside and it catches on the legshield bracket. The hole centres are also about the same 3-4 mm closer together.

So I dig out my old one and start to look at prepping it for some RAL5020 Ocean Blue which I'd ordered as a test to see if it was any closer to what I think the GP blue should look like. As I prep it I find a few traces of the original blue under the flaking paint.

Once painted this looks like a much more promising match than the the English Blue of the other one.

"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Rs fruitbat

Nice work ,can't wait to see it finished ;)
mawso

Any finished pictures of this rebuild...just read through it and wondered how it turned out.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Cutting a black plastic toolbox? You could have sold it and bought 20 metal ones to cut for the price.
rosscla

mawso wrote:Any finished pictures of this rebuild...just read through it and wondered how it turned out.
Still work in progress... :oops:
rosscla

Doom Patrol wrote:Cutting a black plastic toolbox? You could have sold it and bought 20 metal ones to cut for the price.

It is grey plastic just painted black and already had a number of holes drilled in it
rosscla

I also decided to ditch the dodgy legshields in the pics above and get the original ones fixed up.
rosscla

As you'll have seen above I bought and painted a set of legshields from eBay.

I had briefly tried them on the scooter but not really tried bolting them down, when I started I had thought I would refit the Serveta style mats which I had before, so all the holes not being there for the floor channels didn't make much of a problem for me - till I decided I did actually want to put the runners on. These were only ever supposed to be temporary anyway till I could get the originals repainted.

So I decided to get my original ones blasted and see what horrors that uncovered. I'd bought the original bodywork in Carlisle in about 1991 and it had been painted then and never touched since.

As you can see here was a fairly substantial ding which had been beaten out and filled on the filled on offside, significantly more holes than there usually should be and the usual collection of small splits and cracks.

On the recommendation of a friend I contacted Clan Customs and they agreed a very reasonable price to sort out the various problems a bit of welding and a nice paint job in Biancospino.

These look much better and many less holes.

I'm now waiting for the slightly better weather to appear before fitting these in place of the others.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

The great thing about John at Clan Customs is he likes to give you value for money paint wise... plenty layers.... :D :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information