Shed Find (My Shed)

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

After last nights debacle, this evening I decided to tackle the rear hub. That should be a nice easy job. The hub that was on was relatively new so it was easy enough to get the studs out of. I stripped it all out and removed the SIP studs from the other newer rear hub and fitted them to the one that had been on it.

I fit the hub back on and torque it up. This is going quite well.

I offer up the wheel and find that one of the studs is ever so slightly on the p!ss. The tighter tolerance on the SIP wheel and the longer stud means that it won't go on. Obviously with the shorter stud and the normal type wheel this wasn't really an evident problem. More cursing and swearing ...

So I strip the hub down again, put the studs back in the newer hub, check that the wheel actually fits on the hub before I fit it and torque it up and fit the wheel. Four hours of spannering and one wheel fitted. No wonder I don't play the lottery anymore.

Still at least the 'not tight' sticker is gone from the hub at last.

Now just the front end to sort out, but moves are afoot on that front.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

Given the issues I've had, I bit the bullet and decided to get a more modern disk brake for the front end, the SIP studs fit, the wheel fits, everything lines up nicely. There is no more catching or rubbing.

Got eaten by midges while fitting this tonight so match was abandoned before I got round to bleeding it, but it looks the good from the pavement side.

I need to sort out the speedo sensor or go back to a cable but that's not a showstopper.

Get it bled and the timing sorted and I might be ready for an MOT. Getting exciting.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Rs fruitbat

Good luck with the mot :mrgreen:
rosscla

I'd set myself a target to have this ready for Mull but weather, holidays and work conspire against me at every turn.

Last two days I've gone at it hell for leather, got the timing set and strobed. Had a bit of bother with the holding tool which slipped as I was removing the flywheel to move the stator and I chipped a fin. I was a bit annoyed by that as its an original AF one.

Anyway got that done, dust cover on and the cowling on. Also gave the carb a last check.

Also fitted the rear mudflap and the spare where carrier / rack. Can't get a wheel on with the electronic seat but may swap it out later anyway as I originally wanted to have a square back but the one I have has a rusted hinge.

Fitted the footboard and bridge piece which was a total faff as the temporary crappy far eastern foot boards are a shocking fit, quite a bit of drilling and filing gets them on, sooner I get the originals painted and swapped out the better, these'll have to do for now.

Adjusted the rear brake and I think I'm done.

Working away Monday / Tuesday so going to try set up the MOT for Wednesday. it may make Mull yet!
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Look forward to seeing it there good luck and well done great thread :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

Great thread! I think I'll celebrate myself when you get that MOT!
warts
Main scooter: honda

That is looking nice!

What doesn't kill you, makes you strong.
T5-190

Agreed, good strong thread. Very good work.
ridden not hidden

great thread that reminded me of the scooters I used to build, with spraycan paintjobs and having to use and refurbish what you had. They may not have been perfect (in my case) but they didn't need to be and put as big a smile on my face as any custom I have built! :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information