'73 Vespa Rally 200 off road since '77

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

This is a '73 Rally 200 that, as far as I can ascertain, has been off the road since '77. It was registered to Westminster Motorcycles, Chester, initially but the guy who bought it lived a few miles outside. The plate is a Chester number.

I got hold of it a couple of months ago for a pretty reasonable price it has to be said. The speedo says it's only done 1500 miles, however, the amount of dirt in the wheel arches and on the engine indicates more. It's far from pristine.

I have replaced the wheel rims and tyres (Michelin ACS with a new 4 ply Dunlop as the spare) but I'm keeping hold of them. There is surface rust through the paint at points but, most importantly, the frame is completely solid and in keeping with it being in a damp shed or garage since the late '70s. I've just spread ankor wax everywhere to stop the rust getting worse. I've also had the carb ultrasonically cleaned and replaced the exhaust with a Sitoplus as the original, I think, was rusted inside and was stopping the engine revving properly. The inside of the petrol tank took a serious amount of work and acid to get clean.

Plans? Paint and rusty bits are staying exactly as they are. Get it running properly (clutch issues and still petrol coming out of carb box despite cleaning and replacement of float and needle) and trundle around it for a bit. I can then decide whether it does need a full engine rebuild (hard to believe the seals would have survived so long??).

I'll post up some more pics in the weeks ahead when it's properly finished and on the road.

Paul
bazman
Playstation gamer tag: bazman70

Excellent mate , what a find 8-)
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Femsatronic 6 v cool you are very lucky enjoy :D are there any panels with it ?
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

bazman wrote:Excellent mate , what a find 8-)
Cheers, Baz. I thought you would like it :D

Yes, I have panels and, yes, it is a working Femsatronic :P
shamrockexpress

recently came across one as well 1976 femsatrnic 2 owners 3500 miles all original with a bit of rust,,,,,,,,NOT ROTTEN
replaced carb with nos , petrol tank was nice and clean still all origina cables put new battey and bulbs ,tubes tyrs, rubbers and wheel rims MOT and TAX and done a few rallies on her sshe is going like a clock the new carb is the secret.......ps still on original exhaust and engine never opened easily pulls 65.
as found
ready for mot

on the rallies,,,,,,,,scotland
coaster

That's cleaned up rather well Paul 8-)
Angry Bloke

That's very nice Paul 8-)
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

What has happened to the sidecar ?
OzOAP
Main scooter: Vespa PTS1E

Two beautiful bikes.
Ihateyoubutler

That's really nice Paul,not a common colour either.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information