my first ever scooter build. cagiva mito 125 engine

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
soulboy
Main scooter: t5 172 and a bit more

sharkman wrote:All sounds great and means there will be plenty to read about only disappointment is the "4T twist and go motor" really :roll: I know each to there own and that but they are about as exciting as diesel tractor engines lol give me the rind ding ding of a 2T any day every day and all day long not forgetting the heavenly smell of eau d'fullysynthetic 8-)

Keep em coming fast n loud
what a guy what a guy on my tool box door ive got bollax to the ozone strokers rule :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tonydevon
Main scooter: '71 GP125

Lamgiva ...lambretta + cagiva: http://youtu.be/gNgVwEdOSmA
heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it does fail, hit them with it!!!
tonydevon

The "numbers" were dissapointing but never got a power run after final jetting tweak as pc died.
I went a bit too safe i reckon. So its going to do some more miles and then between rallies im changing piston head and exhaust. Then redyno.
Its fun and sounds good on the road but if it drops out of power then its s**t lol.
Long term plan is to source big bore kit and look at feasibility of changing rod and balancing crank etc. Cant find anyone thats stroked a mito. Dont know if its possible but soon find out.

Done about 200 miles so far. No sign of overheating. With electric pump running it sits at 55 60 degrees.

Gave it right good thrash yesterday. Round to 12k in 1st and didnt shut off till 10k in 6th. Great fun

Until you meet a hill lol
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

tonydevon wrote:Lamgiva ...lambretta + cagiva: http://youtu.be/gNgVwEdOSmA
Neat ! And musical, what a spectacle to see that go up the street at a rally
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

That looks superb.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
tonydevon

was dissapointed with the numbers on the dyno, I know the 33bhp is crap but it still seemed well off

so I started to investigate further, the engine setup of barrel piston head etc that I have is apparantly from a slightly lower spec euro model that maybe had a CAT??

the barrel is one of the best stock ones, used with both flat top and domed pistons, thats lucky, so I have 2 routes, change piston to flat top and source the rocking horse poo matching head, or start making some swarf and learning about CR and CCR etc

book squish for the evo etc models is 0.8mm, book for mine can be as big as 1.6, mine is 2.1 oops, so thats a huge non effective squish and lower CR than it should be

first port of call after Newquay will be to try and free up some free of charge horses, top end off, remove what I suspect is multiple base gaskets, then remeasure, and most likely get the head in the lathe, time to start learning about removing material from the combustion chamber in proportion with what I remove from the head, % of squish bands etc, its all very complex but Im enjoying it

Arrow exhaust, different air filter setup and possibly bigger carb on the shopping list, as well as a trip back to the dyno :)

oh, according to gearing commander, 10k in 6th is 84mph, not that shabby, would have gone on a bit more I reckon but was approaching a car bit sharpish LOL
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

tonydevon wrote:Lamgiva ...lambretta + cagiva: http://youtu.be/gNgVwEdOSmA

It sounded nice as well :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
tonydevon

Having some ebay bargains day.
Picked up an Arrow exhaust. End can is battered but i got good one. Seller asked 79 quid. I offered 38. He countered with 48. Sold. :)

Just went looking for garmin 201 to use as speedo. Few cheapies 30 40 quid with no chargers etc. Then find really nice one 30 quid free postage with leads cradle and charger. Got cheeky and tried 25 quid. Offer accepted haha result 25 quid delivered for a very nice 201 garmin.

Also scored a mito bottom end. Cases are damaged and big end gone but ita 7 speed so thats spare gearbox for other build. Wanted a crank to experiment with and look into fitting longer conrod. The spare flywheel with pickups and stator are very valuable and useful also. Comes with engine covers. Can get these ones powder coated and not lose any riding time while mine are off.

99p yup lol. It was in nearby town too :)
sharkman

tonydevon wrote:was dissapointed with the numbers on the dyno, I know the 33bhp is crap
Don't despair at 33bhp if you wanted a lambretta engine to make that you would be looking at a bill of over £3000 lol

Polini do a 165cc kit for the mito 125 but only states 34bhp and costs nearly £450 from PM Tuning.

£'s per horsepower you are definitely quids in and you haven't even started to fettle it yet. Look foward to seeing your first ride out once you have finished your tweeking 8-)
tonydevon

Fitted a 300 float jet to increase fuel flow and reduce time to fill the bowl. Just as a double insurance today i setup an electric fuel pump on it so the pressure is the same regardless of tank level. Maybe its a placebo effect but it feels better even just blipping throttle out in the carpark.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information