New RB Ceramic 230cc Engine

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
Chris CSPE
Dealer

The one thing to bare in mind is that this kind of power is achieved without the kneed of welding casings and barrels to create bigger transfers or crank case boost ports which seams to be the norm with most tuning jobs these days. Infact the only welding that's done is to RB Barrels. For me working with Darrell has been a real eye opener as well as a education.
Chris CSPE
Dealer

The one thing to bare in mind is that this kind of power is achieved without the kneed of welding casings and barrels to create bigger transfers or crank case boost ports which seams to be the norm with most tuning jobs these days. Infact the only welding that's done is to RB Barrels. For me working with Darrell has been a real eye opener as well as a education.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

jonashford wrote:
trev t wrote:is darryl any good, i have never had a tune done by him,,is he fair with prices,,,
Forget the prices if he can get 40 bhp out of a barrel he must be gud, im thinking of taking my AF tuned rb 236 barrel to him for some extra bhp, it does just over 80 now so it must be able to get to 90 afterwards even with a lump like me on it!!!

hi jon ,ive never seen 40 bhp yet , but never built a race motor/tune thats work in progress,
anything above 35 is going some and is not reccomended for people with ideas of it being a high mileage tourer, not that the power spread is peaky or unuseable more that at this level your up to the same power or more than most race engines have so the maintenance to go with it should be expected,i have around 4 35+motors out there and many 30+ which i feel is the standard to aim for with a good combo of maintenance/power

ive found increases in power dont always relate to genuine gps speed increases but accelleration improves considerably
around 17 to 20 bhp will get you touching 65/70
nearly 25bhp to get to 75
30+ bhp to see above 80-85 but with a tail wind/hill/slipstream can do more
35bhp and a high torque figure will see 85 poss 90+
or a big bore motor circa 250cc with 30bhp 24 torque on tall gearing and a low rpm peak will probably match the 35bhp motor on top speed due to its ability to pull the gearing so a genuine case of less is more
the interesting thing for me is the spread over the operating rpm range,i like to check power figures at 4k 5k 6k 7k 8k and it paints a better comparison of how a machine will perform out on the road,the results are very revealing
Last edited by Darrell Taylor on Mon May 14, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
willwander

I think your estimates of speed are about right, bit faster on the speeds maybe... in good conditions.
Look forward to seeing one of Darrel's motors on the strip one day, with this sort of power they could set some good times.

The best I've seen is 96mph out of my RB on the 1/4 mile, peaks at 8500, no welding, nice on the road too....Race ya :)
standing mile: 118.6mph
1/4 mile: 14.04 seconds - 93mph
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

hope to put one down the strip one day
what power does yours produce to achieve those times which are excellent by the way well done, do you have a dyno graph to post up
is that full bodied steel or fibreglass and what rider weight just of interest to all for comparison
willwander

About 33bhp on a good day, so you have a chance of some fast speeds/times

ChiselSpeed RB 240 - link to dyno.

full bodied, all steel, fan cooled, ADS pipe, normal road going scoot...if you can afford the juice...(about 16 lamp posts to a tank of fuel :lol: ). I am a skinny little greck, but it depends more on the weather conditions.

BTW 90+mph on a full bodied scoot is scary, I hear Max Aldous had an off at about 80 sprinting at North Weald this weekend, thankfully he's ok.

Hope you can make it, let me know if you need any more info, or give Martin a ring.
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

Darrell Taylor wrote:
jonashford wrote:
trev t wrote:is darryl any good, i have never had a tune done by him,,is he fair with prices,,,
Forget the prices if he can get 40 bhp out of a barrel he must be gud, im thinking of taking my AF tuned rb 236 barrel to him for some extra bhp, it does just over 80 now so it must be able to get to 90 afterwards even with a lump like me on it!!!

hi jon ,ive never seen 40 bhp yet , but never built a race motor/tune thats work in progress,
anything above 35 is going some and is not reccomended for people with ideas of it being a high mileage tourer, not that the power spread is peaky or unuseable more that at this level your up to the same power or more than most race engines have so the maintenance to go with it should be expected,i have around 4 35+motors out there and many 30+ which i feel is the standard to aim for with a good combo of maintenance/power

ive found increases in power dont always relate to genuine gps speed increases but accelleration improves considerably
around 17 to 20 bhp will get you touching 65/70
nearly 25bhp to get to 75
30+ bhp to see above 80-85 but with a tail wind/hill/slipstream can do more
35bhp and a high torque figure will see 85 poss 90+
or a big bore motor circa 250cc with 30bhp 24 torque on tall gearing and a low rpm peak will probably match the 35bhp motor on top speed due to its ability to pull the gearing so a genuine case of less is more
the interesting thing for me is the spread over the operating rpm range,i like to check power figures at 4k 5k 6k 7k 8k and it paints a better comparison of how a machine will perform out on the road,the results are very revealing
Thnx for the info Darrell, I thought 40 was possible as Frank says thats wat his does, so I thought it was possible, dissapointed again! lol. Ill prob just stick with my Af tuned rb, cheers anyway matey.

@ Willwander, sod 90 mph I find 80 mph scary enough, especially if the carriageways busy!!!
Darrell Taylor
Dealer

40 is pub banter ,a bit like i caught a fish and it was this big with fully stretched arms reducing to something the size of a goldfish

nice dynograph willwander ,martins done a nice motor there,did he weld the ex port back to a single(thats what ive been doing on the rb )
willwander

yes
Dono
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

jonashford wrote:
Thnx for the info Darrell, I thought 40 was possible as Frank says thats wat his does, so I thought it was possible, dissapointed again! lol. Ill prob just stick with my Af tuned rb, cheers anyway matey.

@ Willwander, sod 90 mph I find 80 mph scary enough, especially if the carriageways busy!!![/quote]

Just to put Jonasford straight on the 40 BHP figure he has so famously misquoted on this forum (tut tut). This was a tongue in cheek figure directed at 'The 30 club' during a club meeting when I first thought about putting a new engine together. I was consulting with Darrell and he asked what I wanted to achieve from my New Engine i.e. Sprinting or Touring. Obviously my first answer was 30 + BHP. The 40 BHP figure was a wind up directed at the 30 club and a private joke on a closed forum. And at no time was this number ever taken seriously by the lads in the club or the '30 Club' it was solely directed at? All they wanted to know was - Have I broken into the "30 Club".
So it's quite obvious with you never turning up at meetings Jon (p155 ups) you didn’t get the 'IN' joke!! And a bit naughty of you to pop on another forum and post half a story you read on a closed forum (tut tut)
PS The jury is still out as the weather I have broken into this exclusive club in Scunthorpe. The 1st Rule of the 30 Club is - You Don’t talk about the 30 Club = Do you get the Joke now??
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.....
http://scunthorpesilhouettes.co.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information