Barn Find Vespa

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
wax

Hello people.

I have been asked to flog a late 50' / 60's vespa for a mate of mine: Vespas are not really my thing and i dont even know what model it is. I have an old tax disc and number plate but cannot find a VIN number. There is a space where a riveted one looks like it once was, but this was probably blasted off by some idiot at the blasters. Any help with regards to possible registering would be great. The engine was rebuilt by Readspeed a few years back, at a cost of 500 notes, so that might be worth something. It would be a real shame not to be able to put this machine back on the road (maybe with a P200 engine and 10" wheels :-))

I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

Looks like a Vespa Douglas 152L2 circa 1960, unfortunately that was the chassis number that was on the alloy plate :( but you still have the reg on the tax disc so maybe through the right channels you could recover the log book :lol:
Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
Juan

Douglas chassis and engine numbers were the same so if it's the origonal motor then that'll get you the frame number.
wax

Does that mean i could make a new VIN plate for it?
I don't want to keep up with modern traffic. I want to hoon past it, preferably on one wheel!
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

wax wrote:Does that mean i could make a new VIN plate for it?
Shhhh...... I didn't hear that, right? :lol:
wax

Also, as i am warming to the idea of owning a vintage vespa. How much work is involved in putting a P200 engine in and disc brake forks?
soullad
Dealer

wax wrote:Also, as i am warming to the idea of owning a vintage vespa. How much work is involved in putting a P200 engine in and disc brake forks?
Engine relatively simple, thou you'll need to check the rear shock height, and possibly cut a piece out from the inner section to allow the room for movement under normal suspension travel, with the standard p2 carb body often the part that catches.
As for the forks, I think SIP do some great suspension upgrades if you wanna keep it standard looking, if not think about mudguard mounting, steering stop lug and headset pinchbolt location and overall ride height. Often these conversions raise the front end by an inch or so and so the stand needs altering.
wax

Do the SIP conversions make use of the standard forks then? Can i use a disc brake with these?
Juan

No reason why you couldn't make your own VIN plate, they were just a plain alloy tab rivetted to the frame and no other information on it. I'd hardly class that as forgery.

P range motors etc pretty much a bolt in with the carb box maybe being the only issue as mentioned. Front end would depend on how authentic you want things to look. Worb5 do a disc set up to suit Rally etc. forks but it's big bucks and if you're not worried about the old style forks then using a PK fork is a much better idea altogether.
Bofs
Main scooter: Zundapp Betta 500

As mentioned. PX engine goes straight in, PK forks too ( I had to weld in 2 lugs for a steering stop). 152L2`s don`t have a steering lock so no worries there.

Muffspeed....no muff too tuff
Bad Samaritans SC

1957 Zundapp Betta 500 Auto
1966 Motovespa Sprint 210 Polossi
1960 Lambretta Cutdown 205 Project
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information