Winter Model, Summer Restoration...

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

A hot air gun might be worth a go, but be careful and protect the part that dosn't want removing. Alternatively there is a bespoke "powder coat remover" available but i don't know what it would be like on a small area. We use it if we are shot blasting as powder coat is very hard to blast.
soulsurfer

mick1 wrote:A hot air gun might be worth a go, but be careful and protect the part that dosn't want removing. Alternatively there is a bespoke "powder coat remover" available but i don't know what it would be like on a small area. We use it if we are shot blasting as powder coat is very hard to blast.
My problem is the opposite Mick, I have over sprayed paint on the chrome powder coat ;-)
Turn On, Tune In, Cop out!
Angry Bloke

soulsurfer wrote:
Not the end of the world, but does anyone know how to remove this? I tried thinners on a test area and it turned really sticky very quickly...
Try T-Cut ,I've used it for the same problem in the past and the overspray came off easily
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
soulsurfer

Angry Bloke wrote:
soulsurfer wrote:
Not the end of the world, but does anyone know how to remove this? I tried thinners on a test area and it turned really sticky very quickly...
Try T-Cut ,I've used it for the same problem in the past and the overspray came off easily
Was this on chrome powder coat as I've been told that abrasives will turn it black or ruin the finish, I was hoping for some kind of solvent based product?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

soulsurfer wrote:
mick1 wrote:A hot air gun might be worth a go, but be careful and protect the part that dosn't want removing. Alternatively there is a bespoke "powder coat remover" available but i don't know what it would be like on a small area. We use it if we are shot blasting as powder coat is very hard to blast.
My problem is the opposite Mick, I have over sprayed paint on the chrome powder coat ;-)
Doh....read post properly in future :oops: Saying that...the hot air gun might (i emphasize might) work as the powder coat will be more resilient than the paint, so on a lowish temperature you might get some success. this is the company we use for our powder coat stripper, might be an idea to give them a call and see what they suggest: Tel: 01924 455981/469597 (based in dewsbury but can deliver)
Angry Bloke

soulsurfer wrote:
Angry Bloke wrote:
soulsurfer wrote:
Was this on chrome powder coat as I've been told that abrasives will turn it black or ruin the finish, I was hoping for some kind of solvent based product?
:oops: no not chrome powder coat
Je fettle - Tu fettle - Il fettle - Nous fettleons - Vous fettlez - Ils fettlent

"Broadsword calling Danny boy ,Broadsword calling Danny boy ,over "
soulsurfer

Okay, I've had some movement over the last few months with some more paint coming back...

This seemed unavoidable :( ...

The original seat covered by Andy Nixon...

A couple more bits back...

... And a motor in, although probably not the final motor and not decided which seat yet...

My local DVLA is closing in November so I'm being creative in getting there before and using some temporary measures to do so. Getting it to MOT standard first and with the dating letter sorted and NOVA completed, which was easier than I anticipated, and a V55 on the way, cabling is on he way, I'm due some more painted stuff this weekend including headset, which I'll help.

This is a nice exhaust finish, Cermakrome ceramic coating from Camcoat...

It's been a while but we're getting somewhere, I plan to get the side panels custom painted along with some additional paint on some of the other panelwork. Finger crossed I'll get some stuff back this weekend.
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Love the Original seat .....
sparklymarkly
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Great thread - just read the whole thing in one go.
Looking really good - keep it coming!
Like the chrome effect powdercoat - never seen it before.
soulsurfer

I got the last few bits back from the painters this week, not great attention to detail in places, but I'm fussy and it's nothing that can't be fixed, it's taken 2 years to get these done, but it cost me nothing really, so I'm relieved as it's taken a lot of pestering to get them finished Image

Headset parts too...

So now I could get it to this stage with the donor engine and a few other parts for now just so that I can get the MOT and complete the registration process before my local DVLA office shuts next month...

The panels above are really shiney, although this doesn't show in the pics, but still need a flat & polish, however I'm taking these panels to see a custom painter next week in Brighton for some extra special details, so shouldn't be a problem. If the price is right, watch this space, in the meantime some of this bike will be taken apart, built properly and a couple of small parts repainted down to chipping from paint thickness...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information