old feature scoots

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
RICSPEED

jonashford wrote:Jh says there was never internals as it was a show scooter
seen pics of it at runs so i assumed it was running
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
twenty eight

These all seem be taken at rallies
RICSPEED

yes you are correct ..he does say so

now i think back i belive this is what he got a bit of stick for
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
jonashford
Main scooter: Lambretta SX RB235

RICSPEED wrote:
yes you are correct ..he does say so

now i think back i belive this is what he got a bit of stick for

How times have changed!!!! :shock:
Avromshalom

Just to clear up any confusion re Wake.

Dazzle , Spirit Walker and Nike Air racer were all fully functioning road going Scooters, aside from Spirit Walker when it was in in Show trim.

Wake was built solely as a show bike, with no electrics and no proper engine internals. Wake was shown mainly at Motorcycle/ Car custom Shows where it regularly scooped the board including best of show beating all the bikes.

I'm delighted to see that it has finally seen the light of day again, an iconic part of the UK custom scooter scene, it deserves to be seen again.Especially for the younger scooter enthusiasts who missed the tortured genius that was Jeremy Howlett when he was at the top of his game.

Obviously the new owner will rightly do as he sees fit with her, but can I add my voice to the calls for her to be shown unrestored initially.
e type

The scoot had a complete clutch,Chain guides,endplate +layshaft and dog+ bearings+barrel and head The rest is missing . unknown if piston is still in there as haven't got that far into the engine yet I was told this at time of purchase by jeremy .I already have these parts and they will be fitted as I want the scoot to be ridden
ArmandTanzarian

Avromshalom wrote:the tortured genius that was Jeremy Howlett when he was at the top of his game.
"Tortured Genius" Really?

At the risk of starting a war, unless I've been misled all these years, he had limitless pockets and great ideas for airbrushing but to me he never came near genius.

Russ Mitchell on the other hand was (and still is) a clever b@5t@rd. He came up with original designs and then built them himself rather than just hand over big wads of money to someone else.

Don't get me wrong, JH designed and commissioned some iconic scoots and I always thought that the paintwork was fantastic but the rest was just masses of gold plated, engraved bling. The later bikes (or bike, since he had the same one blasted every year) became caricatures of themselves.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
alcoholic maniacs sc
Main scooter: 6 volt mobility spaz chariot

ArmandTanzarian wrote:
Avromshalom wrote:the tortured genius that was Jeremy Howlett when he was at the top of his game.
"Tortured Genius" Really?

At the risk of starting a war, unless I've been misled all these years, he had limitless pockets and great ideas for airbrushing but to me he never came near genius.

Russ Mitchell on the other hand was (and still is) a clever b@5t@rd. He came up with original designs and then built them himself rather than just hand over big wads of money to someone else.

Don't get me wrong, JH designed and commissioned some iconic scoots and I always thought that the paintwork was fantastic but the rest was just masses of gold plated, engraved bling. The later bikes (or bike, since he had the same one blasted every year) became caricatures of themselves.
you are wrong, jeremy Howlets work was the reason theres a huge bridlington custom show today. scooterists are competitive trying to beat sprit Walker and Wake sold millions of scooter mags and started a lot of scooter shops.he did what we talked about in the pub. it wasnt the depth of his pockets it was the money he had where our mouths were. if you've left nothing iconic behind you (Russ Mitchell was a good fabricator but not in the same league as howlet in exposure at the time or trophies against all comers) then you've left nothing but a will and a few quid to your kids.
Alcoholic maniacs social club. out f@@k,out fight and out booze 'em.
Avromshalom

you are wrong, jeremy Howlets work was the reason theres a huge bridlington custom show today. scooterists are competitive trying to beat sprit Walker and Wake sold millions of scooter mags and started a lot of scooter shops.he did what we talked about in the pub. it wasnt the depth of his pockets it was the money he had where our mouths were. if you've left nothing iconic behind you (Russ Mitchell was a good fabricator but not in the same league as howlet in exposure at the time or trophies against all comers) then you've left nothing but a will and a few quid to your kids.[/quote]

Word. Howlett changed the scene when he bought out Dazzle. It was a complete game changer.
Dazzle took The custom scooter scene to a place where it had never been before and spawned thousands of imitations.

Spirit Walker and Wake just kicked it up a notch or two and as a Street Racer Nike Air still stands out and above pretty much anything that has been done since. The myth that Jeremy handed out large wads of cash to shops to build his bikes is just that a myth, but one that has been repeated so often that people who don't know him or were not there have begun to believe it.

I used the phrase tortured genius in a tongue in cheek way because like most talented and creative people Jeremy Howlett is somewhat eccentric but 22 years after he left the scooter scene the interest still continues, and his scooters still create interest and discussion.
On The subject of Russ Mitchell , yes he is genuinely talented and Exile was great.
ArmandTanzarian

I didn't know the guy and so my opinion of how much was his own work is only based on what I was told at the time and what I've heard since. As I did say in my original post, I may have been misled. As for the Scoots. They were game changers because as young lads in our teens and early twenties, the idea of spending thousands on customising a scoot (and then sand blasting it every year and spending even more) was just unimaginable. I was as awestruck by Dazzle as everyone else but lets not forget that at the time most of us were on £100 a week if we were very lucky.

Its all about personal taste of course but I loved Dazzle and for me he never topped the original, he just got more and more of it engraved and gold plated.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information