A sat morning lambretta painting

Post pics & videos of your scooter, projects you're working on, a lovely Vespa that you saw at a rally, or anything else scooter related.
Piatti

1, how many coats of filler and primer did u use?
2, have u rubbed down the primer after spraying to your parts?
3, so i take it your planning to use 2k paint then. is it easy to use?
4, ive priced up from my local paint supplier for a lambretta, i'm looking at doing mine in ford st orange and was quoted 110 quid for every thing i need excluding sanding paper not bad i thought :!: :)
I'm looking for 2 good coats and I'll flat the filler primer back prior to spraying the colour coats and see what it looks like.
I have been told celly is much easier to spray then 2k, not sure which way I'll go yet.
£110 sounds brillaint considering being quoted anything from £800 - £1100 is the norm these days....

I think spraying a car would be less hassle, with a car you have several large flattish panels but with a scooter you have lots of small parts which will take more time

I've sent you a pm about the filters.............
coaster

Hi Piatti, nice work, you are doing every thing right by the sound of it.

You mentioned about it not being suitable weather for spraying and you are right, I do hope you had some form of heating at least before and after spraying in the drying/curing stage? Fo primer coats its less critical but For putting on your top coats I'd be VERY careful as if its too cold or even a little damp then the paint will 'bloom' and go milky. I've been there several times :oops:

Whoever told you that its easier to spray celly was right, in theory it should be the same but in practice, 2k is not at all forgiving wheras you can fix practically any problem you get with celly. With care you can get a mirror like gloss with cellelose and although it isn't as tough as 2k and the gloss will dull off over time, its dead easy to blow in sma or even large repairs which will blend in completely with the surround in paint. The gloss can be brought back with a few minutes polishing with a good polish.

A lot of spray cans these days are actually aclylic which shouldn't be used where it might come into contact with petrol.

Good on you for having a go 8-)
spannerman

Hi Piatti,just checking out your first paint job,with reference to your Sundstrom mask,I paint mainly with 2K,and always use an ABEC1 standard filter with 2 pre filters.Going to your pictures of filters,the ABEC 1 is the brown one with the yellow line on (bottom of stack)for information the Yellow line denotes protection against cyanide!.That is the only one to use with 2K to stay safe
spannerman

Hi Piatti,just checking out your first paint job, with reference to your Sundstrom mask,I paint mainly with 2K,and use a sundstrom mask and always use an ABEC1 standard filter with 2 pre filters.Going to your pictures of filters,the ABEC 1 is the brown one with the yellow line on (bottom of stack)for information the Yellow line denotes protection against cyanide!.That is the only one to use with 2K to stay safe.
:bald:
sydduckett

Looks as though you have got off to a good start with the primer. I have sparyed 3 coots in my garage and have been pleased with the results although a mate did the actual spraying.... ;) The biggest issue we have had is with particles in the air settling on the paint between coats. Even though we have been quite anal in ensuring that the place is a clean as possible its happened every time... :x This has meant that we had to knock back between each coat. The final finish is good but on closer inspection you can see the particles in the
paint. Personaly if we do another i will invest in an extractor of some sort or maybe hire one for the day.

I spoke about this to a bloke who sprays for a living and he said after prep good extraction makes the most difference.

Also the paint gets everywhere and even with half my garage was completley sheeted off it still found itself next door and onto the youngests pram.... i got a bolloc**g for that.... :(
Bones

Looks like your doing a great job with the respraying BUT enough of this talking about lambretta nonsense............have you still got that Firebird Freestyler BMX stashed away in a shed/loft etc??
Piatti

Bones wrote:Looks like your doing a great job with the respraying BUT enough of this talking about lambretta nonsense............have you still got that Firebird Freestyler BMX stashed away in a shed/loft etc??
I wish mate, sold the complete bike for £100 in about 1990 i think, it was a glyn lewis plus as well, and it had a set of Z rims........b@5t@rd
Keep looking on ebay to get one but there just too expensive, it seems everyone is
trying to re-live their youth, got my eye on these at the moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-FI ... 45f94ca7ca

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-SCHOOL-BMX-FI ... 43a5c04b35

DP used to have a unit in Aber Park Industrial Estate in Flint where they made the frames, its about 5 miles away from where I live. Back in the 80's lads used to nick the reject frames from the scrap skip outside :D

There's a whole site dedicated to the dp firebird with framesets sometimes for sale, no
wonder prices are through the roof....
http://www.dpfirebird.co.uk/

Even 80's BMX star Andy Ruffell is on the nostalgia train, sold him a couple of old school BMX DVDs last year on ebay which he presented, couldnt believe it when it was him, now lives in Vegas and owns his own media company and has just started riding again.

I may have to settle for a mongoose or a skyway........

Cheers

Piatti
Piatti

spannerman wrote:Hi Piatti,just checking out your first paint job, with reference to your Sundstrom mask,I paint mainly with 2K,and use a sundstrom mask and always use an ABEC1 standard filter with 2 pre filters.Going to your pictures of filters,the ABEC 1 is the brown one with the yellow line on (bottom of stack)for information the Yellow line denotes protection against cyanide!.That is the only one to use with 2K to stay safe.
:bald:

I have attached an Isocyanates and Filtering devices pdf file issed by Sundstrom.
Might be of help for other people wanting to have a go at home painting, remember you can also use the SR 100 half mask as well as the SR 500 full face mask, which is the one pictured in the leaflet

regards

Piatti
Attachments
Isocyanatesen.pdf
Isocyanates and Filtering devices pdf file
(75.82 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
T5-190

Nice work Piatti, I love that have a go approach.
coaster

sydduckett wrote:Even though we have been quite anal in ensuring that the place is a clean as possible its happened every time... :x This has meant that we had to knock back between each coat. The final finish is good but on closer inspection you can see the particles in the
paint. Personaly if we do another i will invest in an extractor of some sort or maybe hire one for the day.

I spoke about this to a bloke who sprays for a living and he said after prep good extraction makes the most difference.

Also the paint gets everywhere and even with half my garage was completley sheeted off it still found itself next door and onto the youngests pram.... i got a bolloc**g for that.... :(
I had the same problem when I spayed my Gulf themed sccot last Feb/March. The paint drifted out of the enclosure I was using and wafted to my Marcos which was 20 odd feet away :o It now needs flatting and re compounding on the exposed side which wiil probably take parts down to the primer :cry:

The problem is the air temp, the paint particles are still wet when they land, the secret in our case is to wait until it's warmer befor spraying :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information