Cylinder Head Damage.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Martin20
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 Special

Morning all!
First post from a relative mechanical novice, so sorry in advance if asking dumb question, but here goes!
The inside of the cylinder head on my LI150 is slightly damaged in that there are are 'gouges' in the 'shallow area and just on the rim where it deepens ( hope that makes sense)! Will this affect efficiency , or just contribute towards carbon build up? New piston has been fitted and barrel is good!
Thanks in advance.
Martin.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

From your description, it sounds like a bit of a freak occurrence rather than a well known issue.

It would be easy to rub-out the marks with a good emery cloth, and then re-fit it. Keep off the gasket face with the emery cloth.

If the head was beyond repair, don't worry, a dozen people on here will have a replacement head you can have: they are not rare.

Don't worry too much about carbon build-up. It is not quite the problem that it used to be now that modern two-stroke oils contain additives and detergents.

I hope this helps.
Martin
Martin20

Thanks for response 'Knowledge'. Marks are too deep to rub out, and I didn't want to put dremmel on them in case I did more harm than good lol! Might see how things are when all other jobs are sorted and if bike not running as should, will re-visit. Nice to know there are a few spares about though, just in case.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Sounds like damage I've seen before.

Ring broken up some time in the past?

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Martin20

I think so Chris. Only had bike a few weeks and guy I bought it off had put a new piston in, but no explanation as to why! Will be running it in for a while, but seems OK at moment! (famous last words!!)
fluff34567

Depends how bad it is. A replacement head is quite cheap... I saw some for around 30 . Tbh it's a 2 stroke so it won't matter but personally I would smooth the raised edges if there are any and leave it at that.
bristolmod

Martin20 wrote:I think so Chris. Only had bike a few weeks and guy I bought it off had put a new piston in, but no explanation as to why! Will be running it in for a while, but seems OK at moment! (famous last words!!)
I've got a used 150 head out in the shed- yours for £10 plus post

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Martin20

Deal. Do you have a PayPal account? If so, please email me your details and I will send payment. Will send my address details in return email.
Cheers
Martin
bristolmod

Martin20 wrote:Deal. Do you have a PayPal account? If so, please email me your details and I will send payment. Will send my address details in return email.
Cheers
Martin
Martin PM sent

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information