torque wrench

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
mickfeath.
Main scooter: lambretta super vijay 150

Hi, i am debating whether or not to buy a torque wrench. i recently removed the rear hub on my gp200 and there are recommended torque figures for tightening the nut. i would just like a bit of advice. Firstly, is it that important to use a torque wrench and secondly which type of torque wrench should i buy. Screwfix do a 1/2 inch one with a 3/8 adapter would that be suitable for all my lambretta's needs.Thanks, Mick.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

There's certainly sound reasons for the torque settings specified, particularly on rotating parts, and as with any tools you should buy the best you can afford.

The rear hub nut is a particularly high setting as it needs to force the hub onto the cone securing it. That said, there is allegedly factory footage which shows the assemblers tightening rear hub nuts with a mallet...
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If your buying a torque wrench for use on a Lambretta,you need one that torques in reverse to torque your flywheel.Most torque renches will ratchet in reverse but very few torque in reverse.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I saw a range of tools in B&Q last week, including torque wrenches for £30. They appeared to be in Newton metres, rather that foot pounds, but I guess we can all use a calculator.

I know you should spend as much as possible on tools, but these were so cheap. I bought a 24mm 1/2" drive socket as a spare for £1.25. I expect it will last as long as £1.25, but it didn't have that usual Chinese look about it.
Martin
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

One Torque wrench may not be enough !!

The Torque range settings required for a Lambretta is generally greater than the range one Torque wrench can be set at.

Although there is a Torque figure for the hub, it's worth remembering you will probably either over or under tighten to find a hole for the locking plate......so being too exact isn't an issue.

Cylinder head bolts and the flywheel bolt are probably more critical, so I would get a torque wrench to cover those settings at least.
rosscla

Agreed, I have 1/4, 3/8 (reversible type with the push thru bit) and 1/2 one for the hub nut

The 1/4 will do a lot of things up to about M8 and I find it neat enough for general use.

While there is some overlap the 3/8 does for most up to the flywheel nut but not far enough for the hub and doesn't go low enough for some of the smaller things like drive plate screws.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
rosscla

One irritating thing is that they're all marked up in different units so I always have to get the calculator out.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

you need one that will reach lb120 or 161 nm for rear wheel nut the 1/2 inch one is from lb20 tolb240
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

you can download a conversion chart and in stickys book he gives all the main settings
mickfeath.
Main scooter: lambretta super vijay 150

Thank you all for your replies, Mick.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information