mugello rings change !

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
scootcoot

Hey all .. whats the recommended approx miles for when its time to replace piston rings ? im running a mugello 186 with open mouth carb , been running this for just over two years .. all still appears to be fine but not sure if its something you have to do just as a matter of course !
am a doogal r u a doogal too....!
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

if it ain't broke............................ :D

rings are going to wear quicker without filtration, but if its ok then I'd leave it until it shows it needs it in reduced performance.

The distances covered before rings need replacing vary trememdously

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
scootcoot

Many thanks ...
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I thought that you measured the gap and changed them when the gap reached *x* dimensions, regardless of mileage.
nelson pk

corrado wrote:I thought that you measured the gap and changed them when the gap reached *x* dimensions, regardless of mileage.
I agree with this. Mileage is the most important factor and remember you are running a performance kit so the rings will wear quicker.
I would pull top end off after about 6000 miles and get the ring measurements from who ever supplied the kit or where you plan to get replacement rings from.
scootcoot

The rings for mugello piston is only around £23 the last time i checked so would it not worth just replacing them ?
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

I need to do this over the winter as I was always recommended and still recommend to others that between 4000 and 6000 miles they should be checked / replaced depending on state of tune / type of riding / whether or not there's a carb thats filtered.
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information