Lean

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
scooter_italiano
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Hello, I've got a long time problem with my GP200 standard engine.
Standard 200cc barrel, 22mm Dellorto carb and varitronic, B9ES spark plug.

At high revs I've got detonations from the exhaust and a grey spark plug.
I've changed the main jet from 118 to 120 and the atomizer from 5899-2 to 5899-4. Now the spark plug is black and oily very difficult to run at low revs even with half a turn mixture screw but still lean at high revs!!

how is it possible?! and what to do?

grazie!
eden
Dealer

check the timing with a timing gun!
check the fuel flow!
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

#4 atomiser is weaker than 2 at most, if not all throttle positions (exception being full throttle BUT only if you had a massive induction pull that could make benefit of the larger central drilling... which it will not do). When going for a weaker low rev atomiser (e.g. 4 or 5) you normally then go considerably bigger than standard. I am one of many people with road and dyno experience of standard 22mm carbs using a 4 atomiser with 123 to 138 main jet (dependent on other elements).

A good pal had his standard SIL GP200 with 42mm clubman and standard GP induction dynoed to use #4 with 123 main, which has not missed a beat since, with better MPG, cleaner running through the range and considerably higher top speed, as it no longer bogs out at 3/4 throttle. I could list out a number of other mates running similar setups too.

Ignition timing may also be a factor but I note you are running a non-standard ignition and the auto advance/retard function means that you should not be judging your jetting according to standard settings, which will be quite different because of the standard static ignition.

Adam
scooter_italiano
Main scooter: Lambretta SX200

Adam_Winstone wrote:#4 atomiser is weaker than 2 at most, if not all throttle positions (exception being full throttle BUT only if you had a massive induction pull that could make benefit of the larger central drilling... which it will not do). When going for a weaker low rev atomiser (e.g. 4 or 5) you normally then go considerably bigger than standard. I am one of many people with road and dyno experience of standard 22mm carbs using a 4 atomiser with 123 to 138 main jet (dependent on other elements).

A good pal had his standard SIL GP200 with 42mm clubman and standard GP induction dynoed to use #4 with 123 main, which has not missed a beat since, with better MPG, cleaner running through the range and considerably higher top speed, as it no longer bogs out at 3/4 throttle. I could list out a number of other mates running similar setups too.

Ignition timing may also be a factor but I note you are running a non-standard ignition and the auto advance/retard function means that you should not be judging your jetting according to standard settings, which will be quite different because of the standard static ignition.

Adam
non ho capito.... :oops:
do you mean that I should run a bigger main jet with #4 atomizer?
I've tested a 122 main jet and it was impossibile to go low revs around town.
With a standard 118 main and #2 atomizer it's lean at high revs and for long distance run too, perfect around town.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information