MB Race Tour cylinder kit opinions

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
victor
Main scooter: Tv175 but currently a SS210 :)

Hi all,

I was thinking of buying a 200cc Mugello kit for my small block Lambretta, until I read the opinions of MB regarding this kit (http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/lam ... rs+60.html)

I then read their fantastic opinions regarding their own race tour kit (http://www.lambrettaspares.com/info/190 ... r-+61.html) and started thinking of perhaps going for that instead.

Now one would expect MB as the constructor of the race tour to be biased for it, but on the other hand they are a reputable company so would dismiss their opinions immediately.

It seems to be difficult to find any first hand information regarding the small block version of the kit online, so does anyone here know more about it?

I'm not going to race the machine other than between the red lights, but want as much power as one can reliably cram out of the engine. Exhaust wise I'm going to use my Gori sport, thinking 24-26 mm carb...

Thoughts?

Cheers V
victor

Oh yeah, forgot to mention:

* Want the kit as plug and play as possible. If I later on want to take up ports in the block then I might do so but preferably it should be bolt on and drive.

* Looking at 15-17 bhp

* Carb on left side

Prefer to pay more for finish and quality than less and have to play metal surgeon on the kit to finish it.
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

why don't you phone Mark at MB and say what you want, he will be able to tailor to what you need, or at least give you some help in your choice
victor

rapido230 wrote:why don't you phone Mark at MB and say what you want, he will be able to tailor to what you need, or at least give you some help in your choice
I will finally do, and if I go with the race tour get everything from them, inclusive carb, to make sure to get a reliable kit.

What I'd rather like to verify at the moment are the statements of MB, is Mugello really that varying in quality and is the race tour as good as MB states...?
rapido230
Main scooter: vespa 210 & lambretta gp

cant't comment on the Mugello, as i dont honestly know, i ended up opting for MB doing my rapido and having reed valve, boost port etc. in hindsight i should have waited for his new RT kit, from what i see its good and alot can be done with it too. but saying that my kit is good :)
purple_pill67
Main scooter: Jet200

Darrel M (teamsequipe) has one on Janie Jones
victor

So thanks everyone who replied and PMd me privately as well.

It seems as if the GT kit is the preferable contestant to the RT kit, and Mugello completely out of question.

The RT costs the double of what the GT retails at, but is cheramic lined alu rather than cast iron. Is there anything that anyone can see that would motivate the price difference between the kits...?

Bests V
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

victor wrote:So thanks everyone who replied and PMd me privately as well.

It seems as if the GT kit is the preferable contestant to the RT kit, and Mugello completely out of question.

The RT costs the double of what the GT retails at, but is cheramic lined alu rather than cast iron. Is there anything that anyone can see that would motivate the price difference between the kits...?

Bests V
it could be profit and then more profit, :anbrgin;
muppet,
C’est la vie
PRE0ATS
Main scooter: Li Silver Special

victor wrote:So thanks everyone who replied and PMd me privately as well.

Bests V
Victor,

Not sure if you have seen this already, but MB, in conjunction with BGM, are producing a cheaper version (not UK made and Nicasil rather than ceramic lined) of the RT 195 kit. May be worth looking out for.

Out of interest, what has made you rule out the small block 200 Mugello kit?

A
victor

I've seen and Mark has mentioned the upcoming Taiwanese based kits which will be very closely priced to the GT kit, but aluminium instead.

The reason for not going for Mugello is that I've heard so much negative being said about it and its varying quality between batches, whereas I still haven't really heard anything besides good feedback around the RT and GT kits...

Since the GT and Mugello are about the same price I can't see why gamble and risk receiving a kit from one of the bad Mugello batches.

Currently the GT is about £200 less than the RT but seems to be a better kit, which makes the decision difficult.

If the Taiwan kit was available, cheaper than the GT, it would cease to be a problem ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information