Scomadi radiator and fan issues

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
coaster

red wrote:The fan was bolted to through the rad,if it was overtightened it was done by Frank when he built it as it hasn't been touched since.
It hasn't been grounded as it would be impossible due to the location of it as it's a long way off ground level.
I know that the after market rad fans (Kenlow) are supplied with plastic fasteners that you push through the rad and secure with a push on locking device from the other side. This is to prevent people from over tightening and works fine on a car where the rad is upright. The rad on your Scomadi looks similar to the GTS 250 one but is wider by the look of it. I think the GTS fans are fixed to the outer frame of the rad and not through the cores. It is likely the damage is due to a combination of overtightening and vibration as E Type mentioned. Re the grounding, I was thinking speed bumps or high kerbs but if that were the case there would be marks on the belly of the air inlet.
red wrote:I'm looking at putting some spacers of approx 5mm between the fan and the rad,do you think this would be OK?
No problem with using a smallish spacer or possibly some adhesive neopreme foam.

I wouldn't use ANY form of filter in the air inlet duct, the rad needs air to be forced through when you are running at high speed.

It would be worth having a chat with Frank about all of this as 10k miles is (I'm guessing here) probably further than most Scomadis have been ridden so your experience SHOULD form very valuable feedback and could head of potential complaints when others reach that mileage. But as for the comments about shoddy workmanship, I think that issues like yours are always likely to occur with limited production vehicles of all types, they won't have gone through the sort of high intensity destructive testing employed by BMW, Honda etc. It's the price we pay for being different I guess and even worse if your're one of the first to be different ;)

Don't know if it'll help but I have a PDF copy of the GTS250 Workshop manual, it's the i version but there should be a fair few similarities, pm me your email if you want a copy 8-)
red
Main scooter: Scomadi TL 250 (Ltd Ed No.3)

Hi mate,

Thanks for your comments

I'll have a look to see if I can tell what type of fastenings have been used.

I'll also look at the possiblity of using spacers on both the belly pan and the fan housing to give both a bit more clearance.

I haven't mentioned shoddy workmanship if you thought I mentioned that about the radiator being tight,I apologise for any misunderstanding,i was just saying that I haven't touched the rad since bought so it was frank who built it.

I'll give frank a call as i need to see if I can get another speedo sensor and mine has broken.

I'll send you my email address for the workshop manual.

Cheers
I do not try to explain why I ride Lambrettas,
For those who understand, no explanation is necessary,
For those who don't, no explantion is possible.
vicvega
Main scooter: Scomadi

Had exactly the same problem late last year, at about 7500 miles it was losing coolant and overheating, took it along to Surrey scooters who have always done the servicing and any other problem and they stripped down the radiator and it looked exactly the same. The fan had been rubbing on the radiator and flattened it as in the picture which was stopping the airflow.
To be fair to frank he sent all the new parts down to replace it, I think from memory they used a spacer to move the fan out a bit. You could always give them a bell, they might be able to give you a bit more info. Been fine since, touch wood!
coaster

red wrote:...I haven't mentioned shoddy workmanship if you thought I mentioned that about the radiator being tight,I apologise for any misunderstanding,i was just saying that I haven't touched the rad since bought so it was frank who built it.
Soz Red, I know you weren't, i was refering to other responses 8-)
Speed Demon
Dealer

The Yamaha Tmax has a similar layout (fan in the belly pan through which air is forced down and through) and this same problem occurs as dirt builds up and sits on the rad. Mine started to overheat regularly and it turned out that the rad was blocked and corroded and the fan had failed. The recommended solutions for this are exactly what has been suggested here - keep it clean and fit an extension to the front mudguard to stop shite being thrown into the rad. As gay as a hugger mudguard may look, it may be your best solution to prevent this happening again.
Get to SULK
e type

coaster it looks like a runner rad thats on it as i have the same on my series 5 and fan ... The vespa gts has 2 smaller rads behind the glovebox
coaster

e type wrote:coaster it looks like a runner rad thats on it as i have the same on my series 5 and fan ... The vespa gts has 2 smaller rads behind the glovebox
Yes, that's what I was saying, it's wider than the GTS (I have one ;) )
red

At the weekend I'm going to fit some spacers between the frame and the radiator housing and also between the radiator and the fan.

Hope this will help

I'll take some pics once I've done it
red

Finally got round to fitting spacers of approx 5mm(I used anti vibration washers that usually go between the underside of Lambretta legshields and the struts)also used some between the housing and the frame.

Has a steady ;) ride to Whitby and back yesterday and it seems OK,fan only came on once so hopefully the improved airflow may be helping.

Only time will tell,I'll keep ya updated.

How it was before I started

with spacers between fan and rad and also between housing and frame

I was told by the owner of Scomadi No.14 who I saw at Whitby that Frank has now put spacers between the rad and the fan on his so obviously there may be a problem without the spacers
RICSPEED

cant see the pics dude :(
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information