Re: 12V DC CONVERSION - HOW TO

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
YAMLAM

Thanks Coaster, yes the minus is marked and my son recons the long tag is always the positive. i have some over if anybody needs one instead of ordereing 5 from the Bay :D
win or lose have a booze
vRSG60
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Lambretta GP20

This is getting silly now. I've continuity between the 2 yellows through the stator.
I've 13V AC from one yellow but only about 0.05v AC through the other and about 2-3V DC from the red wire.
This is without a battery fitted.

Something I will add which isn't obvious until pointed out but CHECK CONTINUITY, after re-fitting the stator plate but before putting the flywheel back on.
Check both yellow, green and red at CDI. I nipped the red and the bugger wouldn't start. So the whole lot had to come off again.
I get my kicks out on the floor.
vRSG60
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Lambretta GP20

After having to be recovered by the AA yesterday after another cut out :oops: . I taken the flywheel off again and replaced some of the cabling. The red wire had an intermittent fault. A nip in the wire.
I'm now having a tremendous problem refitting the stator and getting the wiring through the gap at the back without nipping any of the wires. There's just too many wires they are very difficult to fit in the gap.
I get my kicks out on the floor.
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

vRSG60 wrote:...I'm now having a tremendous problem refitting the stator and getting the wiring through the gap at the back without nipping any of the wires. There's just too many wires they are very difficult to fit in the gap.
replace all the cables with better quality, thinner ones.
some stators have that horrible cable that is all insulation and very little in the way of copper, and the insulation cracks when flexed in the cold... so everything one doesn't want from an electrical cable...
if you change the wiring you can also be sure that the connections are sound
coaster

I agree with Byron, modern car wire (available on ebay) has a thinner but superior insulation and can handle higher current to boot. You can also relieve the slot at the top of the stator with a file or dremel so that the wires all lay side byt side rather than running over each other.

I've been experimenting with re-winding my stator and at one stage managed to get it in and running with 10 wires and that was befoore I discovered the thin stuff :shock: It was a bit of a tight fit though ;)
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

eden wrote:I've done this conversion now to my GP tonight, it works well :)
I still have to fit a DC horn and after leaving my battery on charge all night I have found that its dead so I need a new one of those too. I have also routed the new wire from the stator earth the wrong way, when I put the flywheel on it looked as though the flywheel was touching the wire but as I wanted to see if it all worked with the engine running I didnt take it off and reroute it tonight, I intend to do it on Sunday when I have the new battery and some wire to replace all of the existing stator wires which have loads of joins in them.

I did intend to video a "how to" video of me doing the conversion using the pov camera to post in this topic but I had a few nightmares along the way last night due to the state of my garage, not being able to find anything ffs and I had a smoke before I went out to do it lol a fatal mistake, its more like a "how not to" video :oops:

I still might upload it uncut as I'm sure we all have days like I had yesterday, watching it back tonight made me laugh so i'm sure you lot will find it funny.
Please do :D
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Craig H
Xbox live gamer tag: GI TROOPER
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Imola 186

Got my seat when does the show start, come on post ;)
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

eden wrote:I need to complete the conversion first, you wont want it to end with "to be continued" surely :lol:
Drag it out It could be a trilogy? :lol:
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

eden wrote:... and I had a smoke before I went out to do it lol a fatal mistake, its more like a "how not to" video :oops:
:lol: yes let's see it!
carlos fandango

Are you sure it was a smoke you had? And not some speed ?? As I've never seen you work that fast ! Lol . I have to concede your garage is much more untidy than mine ! In fact compared to yours mines like an F1 workshop. :-)
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information