Delving into VSE1M

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Yes, Baz, you will. You'll also see this Rally too probably.

Given that I have really tried to keep this scoot as original as I can, I was a bit disappointed that I had to give up on the original seat cover. Unfortunately, at the end it had more gaffer tape on it than vinyl covering!

The levers are clearly not original, they are a concession to small mits :-)
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

When I bought this Rally, I couldn't get it to rev out. I had the original carb ultrasonically cleaned to no avail and I cleaned out the original exhaust with caustic soda. At the same time I bought a new exhaust, a Sito Plus (top one in the picture below) and a new carb. The engine then revved out better but I was not sure what had remedied it, was it the carb or was it the exhaust ?

To be honest, I did suspect it was the carb but, in the 2 years since, I have kept the Sito Plus on thinking that it "must be an improvement on the original."

Anyway, a couple of days ago, I thought I'd put the original exhaust back on and put the main jet back to a 118 (the Sito needed a 117 to make it run OK. Perhaps, with hindsight, this should have warned me that maybe this exhaust was Friday afternoon version).

The scooter is transformed :!: With the original Piaggio exhaust back on, the scoot now revs out cleanly in all the gears and, just as importantly to me, the problems I'd had with a snatchy clutch have now finally gone (I thought they had gone after replacing the cush drive springs but I was just kidding myself).

I can only conclude that the Sito produced a little too much power for the clutch low down :idea:

Just thought I'd share this for anyone else who may have a Sito Plus fitted to a Rally 200.
gaz_powell

Good outcome and useful info.

I've never been a fan of the sito plus on a P2 but I'm sure some will be.

The SIP Road and SCK big box are the nail in the coffin of the sito plus.

Mind I've just fitted a sito plus at the weekend to a px 125 along with a DR180 kit - man it sounded crap (exhaust note!) Had to cut the nut out of the captive cage as it was miles out. Still the lad I did it for was over the moon - I'll let him run it in then see what happens when I jet it properly. If he had asked me before buying I would have told him to the sip road.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information