THE NEW DGB LAMBRETTA GEAR BOX

Have a service, product or something to share with the members of Scooterotica?
J1MS

There has been alot of talk about Five speed gear boxes for lambrettas. Roy speeds were probably the best known, They broke! Tino had some made. They broke as well. and now more talk of a five speed. With road going Lammys putting out well over 30 H.P. they will have alot to live up to. keep on putting 5 gears in the same space as the original 4, and you can only have a reduction in overall strength. When will someone take a leaf out of the vega cometa book? Innocenti fitted a 4 speed where there used to be only 3 gears, they didnt make the gears thinner, no what they did was they stepped out the end plate increased the length of the layshaft made a new selector a new 4 speed cluster put a spacer under the front sprocket and packed out the side case to suit and had it re-cast I might have missed somthings out but if any body is reading this you get the thread. So why not invest and translate this onto a series 3 not using thiner gears just 5 full size gears. Longer layshaft new longer 5 speed mainshaft and so on. There is definately a market out there. :idea:
DACTEK
Dealer

I've seen alot of motorbike gears that are smaller than lambrettas. if the right mats are used i.e en24t or32t i cant see a problem.
RinB
Main scooter: Reflections in Blue

DACTEK wrote:I've seen alot of motorbike gears that are smaller than lambrettas. if the right mats are used i.e en24t or32t i cant see a problem.
Tend to agree the metals and tech is there
If its made of Metal Fettle it !!
byron
Main scooter: Li Special; scarred,but sound

DACTEK wrote:I've seen alot of motorbike gears that are smaller than lambrettas.
exactly. and tend to have a lot more than 30bhp going through them
J1MS

RinB wrote:
DACTEK wrote:I've seen alot of motorbike gears that are smaller than lambrettas. if the right mats are used i.e en24t or32t i cant see a problem.
But you still have a weedy little selector with now only 75% of its original contact area why not use the modern metalergy with the full sized cogs, that could only be stronger not weaker. Expensive maybe but christ sake theres mods out there buying original 60's chrome and seats for more than a complete RB kit costs.
DACTEK
Dealer

J1MS wrote:
RinB wrote:
But you still have a weedy little selector with now only 75% of its original contact area why not use the modern metalergy with the full sized cogs, that could only be stronger not weaker. Expensive maybe but christ sake theres mods out there buying original 60's chrome and seats for more than a complete RB kit costs.
recast the selector aswell
J1MS

The selector needs a positive contact. the greater the area the better the contact, you would have to re cast a new slector to get all the gear Index's in the right place anyway. If you could build a bullet proof gear box with 5 speeds why not make it future proof. 30 BHP now, and were pinching motorbike technology from 10-20 years ago. so in 10 years time we will be catching up on motorbikes and there innovations and the gear box could be, as it is now a limmiting factor. so why not make it, but make it better at the same time. as I said earlier Innocenti did it in the 60's with the Vega cometa 4 speed.
mark

i would imagine that has been thought of tbh
J1MS

If someone comes up with a good gearbox (5 speed) I'll be thinking of buying one, but if its anything like I've had before I will give it a miss I suppose it all comes down to the cost of developement. But quality usually costs!!!
DACTEK
Dealer

J1MS wrote:The selector needs a positive contact. the greater the area the better the contact, you would have to re cast a new slector to get all the gear Index's in the right place anyway. If you could build a bullet proof gear box with 5 speeds why not make it future proof. 30 BHP now, and were pinching motorbike technology from 10-20 years ago. so in 10 years time we will be catching up on motorbikes and there innovations and the gear box could be, as it is now a limmiting factor. so why not make it, but make it better at the same time. as I said earlier Innocenti did it in the 60's with the Vega cometa 4 speed.
Its alright quoting HP, but HP not the problem, its the way the power is delivered as we found out when putting 44.5BHP through a standrd box with no problems whats so ever. Its cylinder kits that needs sorting more than anything and finding the way to deliver the power without ripping your hands off.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information