Can I tweak my carb set up by adjusting my ignition timing

Check here for a list of various carb set-ups to help with jetting and all aspects of carb trickery!
Snails

Hi

Ive been trying to get my carb set up correctly but I seem to have run out of options. With one needle clip setting its too lean and with the other its a little on the rich side.

Ignition timing has an effect on how the fuel is burnt so I was wondering if I slightly retard or advanced my ignition timing I might be able to land on a better set up?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Why not use a half-clip spacer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Snails

I've never heard of them, but that sounds very useful. Can you tell me where I could get one?

I'd still like to know if my idea is practical as I have a similar issue with another one of my scooters - but this is running an sh1/20 and so adjustments in needle clips are not an option, and its not that easy to fit a carb that does (its a luna)
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i think the half clip spacer might just be a small washer placed between the needle and slide so the clip sits on top of it, you want it to lift the needle up as if the clip would be between the two clip positions you have tried .
holty
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

Snails wrote:I've never heard of them, but that sounds very useful. Can you tell me where I could get one?

I'd still like to know if my idea is practical as I have a similar issue with another one of my scooters - but this is running an sh1/20 and so adjustments in needle clips are not an option, and its not that easy to fit a carb that does (its a luna)

Sell them at eurocarb

https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellort ... le-washer/
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
Snails

Thanks both. I have some very small nylon washers that might do it but if not I'll buy one of those

Any one got any thoughts on my timing question?

The other thing that is floating around my mind is whether one of those ignition advance - retard boxes could be utilised. I've got to be honest and say I don't really understand how they work do I may be clutching at straws!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information