Rear brake shoes not fitting

FAQ tech questions, please check if the answer to your question is in here before posting elsewhere.
Jmc
Main scooter: Li 125

Good Day,

I've got a servetta engine
Servetta cam with the angled head
Servetta Hub

Front is also servetta

I bought two sets of BGM 7870 Li brake shoes. Installed one on the front. Works great. Installed the second on the rear. Doesn't fit. The hub locks up immediately upon mounting the hub onto the mainshaft.
I switched the brake shoes. Put the front ones on the back and back to the front. Same story. Front works great. Rear locks up.
Could there be something beyond brake shoes that I'm overlooking?
Another part to this is the double wavy washer that goes onto the brake shoes before the circlips. It's a bugger to get on. I'm finding myself smashing it on with a flathead screwdriver while trying to put the circlips back into place. So maybe these BgM brake shoes are just too large in a more ways than one? Or there's another issue? Could it be doing this if the hub is warped?
Cheers and thanks for all the opinions!

-Jon
Jmcaab
sydduckett

Jmc wrote:Good Day,

I've got a servetta engine
Servetta cam with the angled head
Servetta Hub

Front is also servetta

I bought two sets of BGM 7870 Li brake shoes. Installed one on the front. Works great. Installed the second on the rear. Doesn't fit. The hub locks up immediately upon mounting the hub onto the mainshaft.
I switched the brake shoes. Put the front ones on the back and back to the front. Same story. Front works great. Rear locks up.
Could there be something beyond brake shoes that I'm overlooking?
Another part to this is the double wavy washer that goes onto the brake shoes before the circlips. It's a bugger to get on. I'm finding myself smashing it on with a flathead screwdriver while trying to put the circlips back into place. So maybe these BgM brake shoes are just too large in a more ways than one? Or there's another issue? Could it be doing this if the hub is warped?
Cheers and thanks for all the opinions!

-Jon
I had same problem. Had to flat them both down with bench grinder. Keep trying with hub locked down until it span without touching. I had also previosly had the hub on a lathe so i knew that was round.
LI150
Main scooter: Series 2 LI150

I had same problem can't remember which way round but one pair hub wouldn't go on the other pair they would. One pair was from Scootopia the othe Scooter restorations
Jmc
Main scooter: Li 125

Two options it seems.

A) try a different set of brake shoes
B) grind down the ones I have until they fit

Thanks everyone!
Jmcaab
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

Just grind a little off. Use a face mask.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Chris in Margate wrote:Just grind a little off. Use a face mask.
Yes! They shouldn't have any asbestos in them but who knows where they originally come from? Be very careful grinding them down.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
a.lo.v2
Main scooter: sx 200

i have had this problem and tried different hubs that has cured the issue. some combinations of shoes and hub will just not work.but in the end most new shoes will need trimming or filing. not a new problem hence the factory brake trim tool.
bazza3004

Regarding getting the sprung plate etc and circlips on i had same trouble and ended up using a wide file to take a tad of the pivot side to get it to fit correctly .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information