another question for barry + or dvla issues

Who do YOU insure your scooter with, give recommendations and opinions...
MCH
Main scooter: street racer px

do bike sure insure kitted scooters without the need for the log book to state the kitted cc??

for example - px 200 to a px 210 if fitted a malossi 210 kit

the first question is pretty simple but then it gets complicated as outlined below -

if the answer is no, then I will ring for a quote

if the answer is yes, then please read on -

i have started to ring around to get some quotes on how much it would cost to insure a scooter which is modified,

at the moment i have a quote which is quite fair in price, which basically states they will insure a scooter with mods declared but only for the agreed value if it were standard,

which im guessing means if something did happen then the cost would only be paid our for the value of it being standard and none of the after market parts would be paid out on, i think this is how i interpreted it,

the only problem is the broker will only accept if on the log book it says as in my example the new cc,

now i have contacted dvla and they say to get it changed you need proof of the garage who did it or receipts of the parts if you did it yourself, as many people know lots of parts are bought cash in hand, on ebay years ago, through forum etc etc and can't prove they bought them, so thats no good,

so i was informed that you would have to fill in the v5 with the changes in section 7 and sign section 8 with a covering letter explaining the situation, plus the engine number,

now thats the next problem, they are brand new engine casings so no number on them, explained to dvla, which said it would then have to be inspected which can take upto or over a month to sort out,

seems like just a massive can of worms to me

can anybody else shed some light on this, any pro's or con's, any solutions?
Muttley McLadd

Why not put an engine number on your engine yourself? It would cut out a bit of waiting.
CakeAndArseParty
MCH

never thought about that, i could stamp my original engine number onto it, i do have a stamp kit, only thing is getting it to look like an original and not like a monkey has done it with a stamp set
Muttley McLadd

Why does it need to look legit?

Has your engine number ever been checked by anyone?

If it looks s**t, just say it's indion.
CakeAndArseParty
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Dude.... You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

1) The only thing which really matters on the logbook is the frame number..... It should actually match your frame!

2) Tell your insurance company about the kit/capacity changes and get insured properly as per the spec of the engine. Be honest.

3) It doesn't matter what the original factory model capacity was on the log book, as long as you tell your insurance company about the cc change and get insured as such.

4) The engine number (or lack of) is irrelevant.

DVLA phone lines are full of numptys reading off scripts......stop ringing them.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
drunkmunkey6969

And......just for info, if you do want/need to change the cc on the V5 for whatever reason..... You don't need original parts receipts, and you don't even need a letter from the garage that did it. You just need a letter from a garage (any) who will confirm the current CC via inspection.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
MCH

im going to ring round some more companies, starting with bike sure tomorrow,

any others to try?

i was also questioning why would i have to change the cc on the log book, to me it just sounds like a complete farce, when like you say why would the dvla need to know when 10 extra cc's from a kit isnt going to push it up into another tax band?
Muttley McLadd

MCH wrote:i was also questioning why would i have to change the cc on the log book, to me it just sounds like a complete farce, when like you say why would the dvla need to know when 10 extra cc's from a kit isnt going to push it up into another tax band?
Because they're jobsworth wan kers.
CakeAndArseParty
drunkmunkey6969

Lol.....
Barry@Bikesure

A Malossi kit won't be a problem to insure at all.

If you would like a call back, PM me and I will sort for you.

Thanks

Barry
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information