Spring loaded top chain guide

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
coaster

What's all that blue goo around the bottom of the clutch springs? surely not glued in place :?
coaster

nelson pk wrote:I don't think it's as disastorous as everyone seems to think because remember a Lambretta chain runs in the opposite direction to a motorcycle chain. If it ran the same way as a motorcycle chain i think it would spell impending doom!
In the first pic the chain looks completely shagged, i must say!

However i think it's too close to the rear sprocket and it doesn't look fantastic quality in my opinion. I think that any chain guide with springs and other components that could possibly fail and drop bits into the engine is not my cup of tea. I'd prefer to stick with a fixed nylon style.
I have to say I agree, certainly its VERY poorly executed but the general principle is ok. Spring loaded tensioners are quite common and having slack chain slapping about in the chaincase won't do the wear rate any good either. I would imaging that the angles the links would get themselves into would be every bit as bad as the one above. Even the set up above would be workable if the tensioner was lowvered until the whole nylon buffer was in contact with the chain. That would require a re-think of the spring arangement though, maybe moved back towards the fulcrum so that the spring pressure is lessened?

Re the split pin in the half link, I take it from comments that that isn't the norm? I've been running one for a good few thousand miles now (didn't know any different :oops: ) although I did peen the end of the pin with a hammer as a safe gaurd.
Elite-225
Main scooter: GP 225

The more stress on the chain = Less life of the chain
Yanker

coaster wrote:Spring loaded tensioners are quite common and having slack chain slapping about in the chaincase won't do the wear rate any good either. I would imaging that the angles the links would get themselves into would be every bit as bad as the one above.
Huh? :? Sorry Coaster, can you re-explain please?

Elite-225 wrote:The more stress on the chain = Less life of the chain
Precisely, and especially those "Rolon" and "Diamond" half-link split 81 and the non split link jobs that will spit rollers at the first opportunity...don't give them one!
coaster

Yanker wrote:
coaster wrote:Spring loaded tensioners are quite common and having slack chain slapping about in the chaincase won't do the wear rate any good either. I would imaging that the angles the links would get themselves into would be every bit as bad as the one above.
I was meaning that a slack chain will flail about and 'whip' on the top section which would cause additional wear, I did a quick google search after your query and found several references including this one which expalins the benefits a PROPERLY tensioned chain. I agree that Jason's example is not a good example.

http://www.conbear.com/dc/files/2010_RO ... ioners.pdf

I also agree that a standard set up with an unworn chain as Innocenti intended is fine but we are putting up to 3 times the power through our transmissions and to maintain a chain within Innocentis limits will mean changing the chain on an unacceptably frequent basis. Pull down tentioners or a properly engineered sprung tensioner are ways of prolonging the service life surely.
coaster

Eden wrote:
coaster wrote:
I also agree that a standard set up with an unworn chain as Innocenti intended is fine but we are putting up to 3 times the power through our transmissions and to maintain a chain within Innocentis limits will mean changing the chain on an unacceptably frequent basis. Pull down tentioners or a properly engineered sprung tensioner are ways of prolonging the service life surely.

im not sure they would, the higher power out put is more likely to stretch the chain but the stretching occurs when the front sprocket pulls on the chain which it does at the bottom. having the chain tensioned at the top pushing down would just increase the stretching at the top.
If you check out the link in my last post the point is being made that the flappy bit of the chain causes vibration and accelerated wear and a reduction in the wrapping of the chain round the sprocket and could even lead to the chain jumping a tooth (guess that would require a seriously fecked chain though). None of that will help wear on the rear sprocket either. Just my opinion ;)
Yanker

coaster wrote:
Yanker wrote:
I was meaning that a slack chain will flail about and 'whip' on the top section which would cause additional wear, I did a quick google search after your query and found several references including this one which expalins the benefits a PROPERLY tensioned chain. I agree that Jason's example is not a good example.

http://www.conbear.com/dc/files/2010_RO ... ioners.pdf

No, and no . Your link is to industrial linkage puller drive trains for conveyor belts and other low speed high torque transmission. There is no 'whip' or 'flail' involved in a Lambretta chain or any other primary drive transmission belt for that matter: please re-visit your thinking on this. They all are pre-tensioned: this is what you do when you build the sprockets in with the correct length chain and sprocket to suit and fine-tune with the upper tennsioner/guide. Or for that matter install the correct drive belt tooth,width. length and taper in your pulley system in your mobility scooter?!
PRE0ATS
Main scooter: Li Silver Special

coaster wrote:Pull down tentioners or a properly engineered sprung tensioner are ways of prolonging the service life surely.
Looks like MB have been working on a properly engineered sprung tensioner, which seems a much better fit:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 864&type=1

RICSPEED

that one is at least pushing in the right place ,i did think that the first pic jason posted was a badly copied version of one mb did a while back
Its in bits scooter club: www.facebook.com/groups/132415046859320
Elite-225
Main scooter: GP 225

I still won't be buying one ..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information