Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
dapper
Main scooter: The Biriani Bullet

Right, I know everyone's views on Lammy speedos being like windscreen wipers :D but after replacing complete speedo, inner / outer, drive, drive bush etc. Speedo packed up after 5.7 miles :frog: :cry: :evil: Now I'd checked that the speedo worked with a battery drill in reverse on the end of the inner and the speedo had a lovely steady needle action, and did so when tested on the road for the aformentioned miles. It was the second SR nylon worm drive I had fitted as the previous one showed wear in the centre. I know I can get a full metal set from MB (at a price :o :shock: ) but has anyone tried these and had any success or a mix of the metal and nylon? I'm starting to think that the worm drive and pinion bit are meshing but not quite enough, hence the speedo packing up after such a short time and at speed. Is there any way of checking how well they are meshing? Am thinking that the short spacer may need filing a touch so they mesh better.
Any thoughts? And No, I do not want to go down the SIP speedo route or any other make :frog:
Compact Toolbox Flywheel Holder
ultrarepo
Main scooter: Lambretta SX150

I have had 500 trouble free miles so far with my metal MB set up and 3 hours faffing and 0 miles trying to set up an SR nylon pair on my S2.

I had some trepidation about the all metal MB set up but so far so good. Mixing nylon and metal feels like it might accelerate wear on the nylon part but who can say. When playing with differemt worm drives on my nylon set up I also found that the three that I had were all different lengths....
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

After faffing about with a couple of nylon ones I bought the 2 piece metal one from MB [round about 2005]. I had to spend an hour or so with a fine needle file taking all the sharp edges off to make it mesh. With a £75 Italian speedo this lasted for over 5,000 miles when it gave up the ghost. Tried a cheapo speedo after that but it didn't want to go above 30. Never got round to looking at the metal worm drive to see if it was still intact but when I crashed in France the milometer was still working so I presumed it was the speedo that was naff. If I ever find the hub I'll check on the drive.
dapper

Christ, I was expecting ridicule, not two sensible posts and especially one from Martin (at this early hour for him and without any dry norvern wit) :D ;)
dapper

Just looked on MB's site and their outta stock. Anyone else do the all metal speedo drives?? Martin, the set on your site looks like the worm drive is all steel??? As that seems to be the part that keeps wearing, if it is all steel, pop one in the post for me, please?
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Theres an Indian speedo newish on the market which I told is very accurate but can't remember who sells them.. :oops: save yer penny's Mark and buy a SIP digital, you won't regret it..
Dryballs

Or pick up a refurbished original one from Speedo King in the states

see my other thread
lammydave
Main scooter: Li150Special RT195

mark...

start with a decent speedo... got one of these on my GP..

so far so good....

http://www.riminilambrettacentre.com/Ar ... 362dd487c3
Li150 S2 1959. Li150 Special 1964. GP125 1970. Jet 200 Performer 1981. 1967 Sx150. 1959 Li150 S1. 1968 li125 Series 4
dapper

The new speedo I have is absolutely fine and works exactly as it should when connected to a drill. It is purely the issue with the worm drive and rack on the front hub being unreliable and failing so quickly.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Check this eBay item no.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information