225plumbing with pics

Anything related to Lambretta or Vespa Scooters fitted with LC, Motorcycle and/or Auto engines!
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Hi chaps,I'm after some technical info regarding plumbing and running temps on a Malossi 225 running a Worb 5 l/c head .The scoot went to Germany and was fitted with a 4" square oil cooler type rad with fan mounted inside the l/hand side panel with vents,it has a VW 12v pump and the sensor is in the head.When my mate fetched the scoot back he was shown it running on the dyno with a big fan blowing through it but once back home he says it runs hot after 7-8 miles and he was told never to go over 95C or the head will warp. I had a look this afternoon and it all looks good but I wondered what would be the best way of connecting the pipes as regards flow?. I also noticed there is no thermostat or restrictor fitted in the system which I believe is needed to maintain pressure within the system so forcing water into all the head which I'm not sure has any galleries or is hollow.So basically what I need is someone with experience to guide me as to the routing ,running temps and which thermostat etc to use although personally I think the rad is no good but would like to try and keep as it is so well fitted.Thanks Image Image Image
As it is connected now the water enters the head at the top,and the lower hose goes to the pump then to the rad.I think it should enter the head at the bottom with the hot water leaving by the top but am not sure which hose to connect to the pump and where to fit a thermostat?
Last edited by wack 63 on Sun May 27, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wack 63

After binning the rad and hoses I designed a completely new cooling system with custom made silicon hoses and a Superbike rad and fan but the owner is so pleased with the system he doesn't want the idea copied so no pics. :| Sorry Worb 5
Diablo
Dealer

Shame I would have liked to see your solution.
Any more info on the motor-have you ridden it?
Daz Kane
Main scooter: SS90 Falc 138

I will post pics soon, im having a new side panel painted at mo, when you see it you will understand why its taken a bit of time. wack 63 has done a fantastic job, alot better than worb 5.
I have with the help of wack 63, posted loads to try and get help on this subject with no replies, so sorry if it offends but i've spent a s**t load of money and testing to get this right, so im just not spilling the beans! :fb:
Daz Kane

wack 63

Beans spilled :bald: Just needs that red sleeve fitting on the top hose Daz :roll:.Thanks must also go to Mark at Paint Supremacy for always being able to match the original paintwork when we have altered the bodywork.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

That's impressive.
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
Daz Kane

I think Mark at Paint Supremacy only get part credit the rest must go to you mate, another Wack63 build/creation - the stable of many ;)
Gunny

Is there enough air getting into the radiator to cool it down enough for long journeys ?
It's very similar to mine onlt i mounted a GMX radiator on the fron off side leggy just to make sure it got enough air and it works perfect.
Hope it does the job as it's a cracking idea so to keep the lines of the scooter standard.
Daz Kane

Yeah it gets plenty of air, at one point too much and would't run properly, she runs between 70-76 degrees but usually around the 72 mark depending on the weather, it runs better on cooler days rather than very hot sunny days. it has taken nearly 2 and a half years to get right with several radiator combinations and three different side panels with different air inlet vents, but the one on the scoot now was designed by Wack63 and is by far the best.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information