dc conversion battery

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
joeswoonara
Main scooter: jet ts1

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-DC-12V-6 ... _ConsumerE

would this battery be o.k to supply d.c power to my new SIP speedo ,although it works a.c also would this be powerful enough to supply a constant supply of power

if that makes any sense at all :shock:
never squat down when wearing spurs !!
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Hi Joe,

I especially liked the line in the advert that says "Meet your special need a whole night." :D

Just for you I've just been out to the garage and stuck my SIP speedo (still awaiting fitting!) :roll: on a battery and measured the current. Mine draws 120mA, the battery you have selected has an (ideal) capacity of 6800mAH. So, 6800/120 = 56 hours.

Therefore, I reckon that battery would be fine.

However, I would strongly recommend you fit a Wassell rectifier (details of the conversion is here: http://scooterotica.org/forum/viewtopic ... 32&t=14360 then you wouldn't need to arse about with chargers etc. :)

Usual disclaimer regarding the above statements (ie: someone who knows about electrickery will be along shortly to put me straight I expect) :frog:

Cheers,

Nigel
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Not sure from your post if you intend to charge and run it or trickle charge it from your scooter?
I would expect that a lion battery would be fine if you are going to plug it in and charge it, but it aint going to last long when parked up. (does the speedo need a constant supply) I would be wary of charging it from the scoot, even if its a wassel conversion, I would opt for a burglar alarm battery, a very small 2 or 3 amh one will last weeks, will be a lot cheaper and forgiving of high and low inputs
joeswoonara

thank you both for your input ....and yes i was going to charge it from a 5 pin regulator ,i`m pretty certain it dosn`t need a permanant feed , i would have gone the alarm battery route but this is going on my TS1 with diablo tank, so dont have a lot of room
chose the battery in my original post as a similar and slightly cheaper version to this sold by m.b.
http://www.lambrettaspares.com/spares/t ... t0002.html
chose the above battery
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

joeswoonara wrote:.......i`m pretty certain it dosn`t need a permanant feed ......
Hi,
Step 6 in the wiring instructions for DC: Black = Ground; Red = Battery +; Brown = permanent (not switched) power supply.

The brown wire also seems to supply the pulses for the tacho.

That MBD battery is very expensive IMHO, I got a small 12V 1.3AH sealed lead acid for £4 on Ebay.

Cheers,

Nigel
joeswoonara

so if i`m getting this right ....so both red and brown go directly to the battery i.e red to battery and brown to non switched supply =straight to battery also ...........or am i being really thick here :-)
PRE0ATS
Main scooter: Li Silver Special

joeswoonara wrote:so if i`m getting this right ....so both red and brown go directly to the battery i.e red to battery and brown to non switched supply =straight to battery also ...........or am i being really thick here :-)
As I understand it, having seen a website showing the installation of vespa speedo, the brown wire is just used to pick up RPMs and should be conected to an AC power source, whereas the red is the main power supply and may be connected to an AC or DC (i.e. battery) power source.

This means that the tacho on the speedo probably won't work on a scoot that has had the full DC Wassel conversion, as they don't have an AC supply.

The vespa website also noted that that the wiring instructions in the manuals are incorrect, as they show the red wire being connected directly to the battery on a DC scooter. Instead, the red wire should be connected to a switched live, in order to stop the speedo being permanently on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information