SIP Lambretta Digital Speedo

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
sideout
Main scooter: SX150/GP Muggy/LiS3 Avanti TT3

Finally got around to fitting my SIP Lambretta speedo today.
I'm running a Wassell full DC system on the bike in question, a SIL GP.

Connections
I followed the instructions (maybe :oops: ) but essentially there is a "powerbox" which connects between the device and the power supply. 3 wires need to be joined into the headset: Red = Battery +12V; Brown = +12V supply to the lights; Black = Earth. (There is an AC option too :) )
The speedo cable connection is the Italian fitting, NOT Indian, so I had to change the cable. :roll:
The next connection I made was the external button. This is a small button, about 10mm diameter, which is attached to a convenient position with a self-adhesive pad. I stuck mine inboard of the dip switch on the throttle casting. (They supply an alcohol swab to ensure a clean surface.) This button is used to both change modes and to enter the settings.
The other thing to connect is the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor. This is an aluminium ring which fits under the spark plug. (I didn't fit this, as yet anyway, because I already have an EGT fitted and mainly I couldn't get the bugger under the plug because it fouled on the head cowl.) :(

Settings
Measuring units: The choice is between Degrees F and Miles, or Degrees C and Kilometers. So if you're like me and prefer Degrees C and Miles, you're unlucky! :shock:
Speed signal setting: Now because a) I'm a bit thick, and b) the English translation of the document leaves a bit to be desired, I initially set this to "Ext" and found later (when it didn't work) it needed to be set to "Int".
Circumference setting: This is the distance travelled for one revolution of the wheel. To do this as accurately as I could be bothered I marked the wheel with masking tape, sat on the bike and walked it 10 revolutions, marking the road at the start and finish (this is where an attractive assistant comes into play) :D Divide the length of the 10 revolutions by... you can guess the rest! Mine came out at 1287mm.
There's also a "Gear Ratio" setting which I reckon must be a hang over from the preceding Vespa speedo design. I set this to 1.
RPM pulse setting: There's a table in the booklet which give loads of alternatives for 2-stroke; 4-stroke; number of pistons. I chose "1" which corresponds to 1 piston and 2 stroke (I don't have a fancy Variotronic thingy which sparks twice every rotation).

Testing:
Initial tests show the digital speed works (once I set the input correctly) :oops: but I plan to stick the TomTom on it over the next few days to calibrate it. It should be simple enough to tweak the wheel circumference entry until it's right. :geek:
Now, the problem. I can't get any reading from the tacho. I've seen this before with tachos when you try and pick the pulses up from the wiring loom. Having a Wassell system with a battery I reckon all the ignition noise is smoothed out. I'd appreciate an electrical perspective on this from the experts out there (come on, you know who you are!! :) )
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Sorry it's not me :oops: took mine and got it fitted at Bedlams in Bedford as Ian has one and I'm a complete iriot and can't read instructions :oops: my conclusion it's quite easy to fit , I've no battery, although you will find the heat thingy that goes on the cylinder under the plug won't fit and will need modifying. MPH and Fahrenheit does for me.. :lol: the clock is hard to read when riding. Not yet set everything up. My conclusion and this is a pretty obvious thing to say but you need to really want and appreciate the rev counter as it dominates the speedo but is in virtually the same position as an original speedo. Nice bit of kit and well made. Oh and my LED festoon bulb doesn't work, something about the speedo taking too much of the power..... :?
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Also the Italian speedo cable needed a bit of fettling to fit...
sideout

Timbo wrote:Also the Italian speedo cable needed a bit of fettling to fit...
Ooh, I didn't need to fettle mine, but I suppose that's Lambrettas for you ;)

Quick update on the SIP speedo set up. Did some calibration runs today with my TomTom sat nav and found I needed to set the "Speedo Gear Ratio" setting to 0.77 instead of 1. Seems just about spot on now, at least up to 55 as I haven't had a chance to do a faster run yet. :twisted:
PRE0ATS
Main scooter: Li Silver Special

sideout wrote:Finally got around to fitting my SIP Lambretta speedo today.
I'm running a Wassell full DC system on the bike in question, a SIL GP.

Testing:
Initial tests show the digital speed works (once I set the input correctly) :oops: but I plan to stick the TomTom on it over the next few days to calibrate it. It should be simple enough to tweak the wheel circumference entry until it's right. :geek:
Now, the problem. I can't get any reading from the tacho. I've seen this before with tachos when you try and pick the pulses up from the wiring loom. Having a Wassell system with a battery I reckon all the ignition noise is smoothed out. I'd appreciate an electrical perspective on this from the experts out there (come on, you know who you are!! :) )
As I've posted elsewhere, having read a website showing the installation of vespa speedo, I understand that the brown wire is just used to pick up RPMs and should be conected to an AC power source, whereas the red is the main power supply and may be connected to an AC or DC source.

This has also made me wonder if/how the speedo can be made to work on a scoot that has had the full DC Wassel conversion, as they don't have an AC supply?
Is it possible for the brown RPM wire to be connected to one of the wires off the stator or CDI instead? :?
Or, does it come down to the choice between full DC or the sip speedo? (in which case I'll have to decide whether to sell my DC stator or my sip speedo!)

The vespa website also noted that that the wiring instructions in the manuals are incorrect, as they show the red wire being connected directly to the battery on a DC scooter. Instead, the red wire should be connected to a switched live, in order to stop the speedo being permanently on.

sideout

PRE0ATS wrote:This has also made me wonder if/how the speedo can be made to work on a scoot that has had the full DC Wassel conversion, as they don't have an AC supply?
Is it possible for the brown RPM wire to be connected to one of the wires off the stator or CDI instead? :?
Or, does it come down to the choice between full DC or the sip speedo? (in which case I'll have to decide whether to sell my DC stator or my sip speedo!)
I agree, but be very wary of connecting directly to the unregulated stator or CDI wires. I've fried tachos in the past and have seen some big voltages when measuring them on a meter! :oops:
What about Tee-ing off to a standard regulator to give a stabilised AC feed for the RPM feed :?:
coaster

I don"t think that would work, attaching another regulator would kill the feed to the Wassel,
Terrible Taff
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta's & Vespa's

sideout wrote:
PRE0ATS wrote:This has also made me wonder if/how the speedo can be made to work on a scoot that has had the full DC Wassel conversion, as they don't have an AC supply?
I agree, but be very wary of connecting directly to the unregulated stator or CDI wires. I've fried tachos in the past and have seen some big voltages when measuring them on a meter! :oops:
What about Tee-ing off to a standard regulator to give a stabilised AC feed for the RPM feed :?:

Had the pleasure of dynoing a non ported RB20 scooter yesterday with one of these fitted!
Very inpressed with the power output 26bhp @ 8500rpm, 17.4 ft/lbs torque.
Also the digital & analogue readings matched my Dynojet Tacho for accuracy.

Ian Frankland
Taffspeed
07794 003276
Ian T Frankland

Taffspeed Design Innovations
Mob: 07971 818693
Email: terrible.taff@gmail.com
sideout

Just saw a post on the LCGB forum that someone else with a full DC system can't get the rev counter to work on the SIP digital speedo. I wonder if the Wassel DC pioneers on here have got any clever ideas for a work around? Or is the future AC?.... ;)
Train Driver

Is this normal, engine off (he had broken down) keys out and no battery fitted to the scooter

I have ordered a SiP speedo should i be worried :lol: :roll: :lol:
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information