best winter tire ??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
gonzo-jetsonslc
Main scooter: Lambretta SX 150

Years ago I had a set of IRC urban snow , very good in cold and icy conditions but quite expensive.
And because of the very soft compound they will not last very long.
As it would be illegal in germany to drive without marked winter tyres in winterly conditions I prefer to not do so and wait till it gets warmer.

-
cezeta

Supereibar wrote:Interested myself in a pair of monsoons. Anyone can tell me where to buy them?

Best,

Jaime
sorry they are for the english only
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The race version would last absolutely no time on the roads, even in a race you risk wearing them out if it suddenly dries out. Thankfully there is a road version which has a 150 kph / 93 mph speed rating. I got mine from AF.
Train Driver

TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
madmaex08

the best winter tire is the IRC urban snow. I have a set of 3,50-10s on my silver special right now.

I first tested them for 30 minutes on 20cm fresh powder. I was stunned by the amount of grip they provided. Of course hard cornering is impossible, but I could manage 65kmh on the snowcovered ground without any problems but my nerves.

I next tested them during a snowstorm going from Salzburg to Bischofshofen on January 5th this year. The ride back next morning was even worse: Ice and snowcovered roads for at least 15 km made it impossible to ride faster then 34kmh according to my GPS speedo. But the grip of the tires was still amazing under these conditions. With the snow and ice gone i went full throttle over the wet b-roads at around 0 degrees air-temperature. Just like in dry summer conditions.

On January 26th I went to the annual Elefant winter meeting in Loh Bavaria with a couple of friends. No more blizzards, but loads of snow and ice on the campgroung at minus 7 degrees celsius. No problems with grip from the IRC tires, just the temperature in the tent was a bit on the chilly side ;) Most motorbikes had problems even with chains and/or geared sidecar. The Scooters (there were quite a bunch of them, especially Italians) had supreme grip. The ride back again in rain/snow was no problem. Full throttle again without any slipping at all. I even managed to overtake a couple of cars that only did 80kmh.

Of course in dry and warm conditions the tires will probably not hold very long, but summer tires you normally change once a year as well. For a reall winter with temperatures around freezing or lower I would not take anything else but the IRC urban snow.
cezeta

funny enough i just came on to post the link to the irc tires

http://www.myscooterparts.co.uk/product ... 10snow.jpg
carlos fandango

Readspeed sell ( or did?) sava monsums . i have some on my "new project" but i haven't rode on them yet :-(
When i was young my Mom said "if you haven't got anything nice to say, say nothing at all " ..................... and people wonder why I'm quiet around them !
Boothy_the_makem
Playstation gamer tag: Phantomkiller_uk
Main scooter: modded t5 classic wi a parker

I went out last night in freezing fog on my vespa with conti twists and again this morning 14 mile round trip for mot -2 fog :( no sliding :)

Wonder if yer could rig the seat up to be heated like in me volvo ? :D

save scrapin ice off the fecker all the time. anyway, sod it ive parked it up now. -15 on the way apparently. Balls to that. you nutters are welcome to it ;) :D
Canny lass, Geordie girl, he gave her pints and fags and grub and shorts. Canny lass, Geordie girl, she gave him earache and penal warts,Penal warts.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Winter tyres on the car don't wear that much faster. Lots use them a all year round now as they are quieter. Yes I know....
Would have though 500 miles would be more than possible, discretion/fear tends to temper the right wrist in minus temps.
ArmandTanzarian

Boothy_the_makem wrote: Wonder if yer could rig the seat up to be heated like in me volvo ? :D
Yes you can.....

Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information