Unable to start series 2

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Supereibar

Hello again Andy, reading the last comments you have made then we can say it is definetely a carburettor issue, can we? The scooter refuses to start cause it is missing air on cold (or so it seems). Does it stall once you flip the choke? What con rod does your crank have on? Is it a longer rod or is it the standard 107 lambretta rod. Also, what is your carb configuration? Idle-Atomizer-Main? How did you sealed the head? Those indian ali barrels sometimes aren't that flat, it is a good idea to make sure the head is completely flat along with the head. Let us know how you get along. Glad to be of any help.

Best,

Jaime
andy summers

coaster wrote:Whatever you do, don't enlarge the stud holes, they are what accurately locate the manifold over the inlet port :shock:

You can rotate the fuel inlet bango by undoing the center bolt.

For posting photos, I use Photobucket, it's free to use and easy to upload to. Once photos are uploaded you get several 'link' options one of which is IMG. 8-) You just click that option and then past that link into your post 8-)
I cant rotate the fuel inlet bango as it locates on a peg, the bit which the bango filter goes over...it only goes on in once position....if that makes sense. however On my sh1/18 on my series 3 there is no peg so the inlet bango can be rotated up and down, plus the clearance issue isnt the part where the fuel pipe slides onto, its the Circumference of the inlet bango itself. I'll do a photo when i get chance tomorrow night which should hopefully explain better!
Supereibar

cut the peg off.

J.
andy summers

Supereibar wrote:Hello again Andy, reading the last comments you have made then we can say it is definetely a carburettor issue, can we? The scooter refuses to start cause it is missing air on cold (or so it seems). Does it stall once you flip the choke? What con rod does your crank have on? Is it a longer rod or is it the standard 107 lambretta rod. Also, what is your carb configuration? Idle-Atomizer-Main? How did you sealed the head? Those indian ali barrels sometimes aren't that flat, it is a good idea to make sure the head is completely flat along with the head. Let us know how you get along. Glad to be of any help.

Best,

Jaime
the crank is new and is this...

I jetted exactly as per a tv175 sh1/20 in stickys book, but went up on the main jet by a few numbers, i think to a 110 main?! using a new 42m clubman.

The head was put on a lathe by the dealer before I bought it.

thanks again for the help!
Supereibar

so are you using a 50 idle jet ten? the rod is a 107 in length though, it is not exactly a TV175, you should jet as if it was an SX200. Try a lower idle jet, say a 45 see if we have any luck there.

Regards,

J.
andy summers

Supereibar wrote:so are you using a 50 idle jet ten? the rod is a 107 in length though, it is not exactly a TV175, you should jet as if it was an SX200. Try a lower idle jet, say a 45 see if we have any luck there.

Regards,

J.
Yep using a 50, will change tonight and also try and upload a pic of the carb to see whether it's sat at too much of an angle.
andy summers

Supereibar wrote:so are you using a 50 idle jet ten? the rod is a 107 in length though, it is not exactly a TV175, you should jet as if it was an SX200. Try a lower idle jet, say a 45 see if we have any luck there.

Regards,

J.
Right , just tried a 45 and 47 pilot jet and still same, will only start with hose fully removed from carb, Try a lower pilot?
andy summers

Also would the angle of the carb affect it's operation? I can't make it sit up right anymore due to the engine mount being in the way. When I changed the jets earlier the bowl was nearly full.

http://m1134.photobucket.com/albumview/ ... g.html?o=0
Supereibar

Seems that the engine is receiving too much fuel on the start and requires more air. Will it run okay without the air bellow for a while or will it still die after a little bit? When you pull the choke, will it die inmediately? Also, have you tried another carburettor, just for the sake of it?

Best,

Jaime
andy summers

Supereibar wrote:Seems that the engine is receiving too much fuel on the start and requires more air. Will it run okay without the air bellow for a while or will it still die after a little bit? When you pull the choke, will it die inmediately? Also, have you tried another carburettor, just for the sake of it?

Best,

Jaime
Jaime, it will still die with the air bellow off, when I pulled the choke out the revs picked up slightly then it died again! I only have the old series 2 carb spare.
Think I'll fully strip carb, tap and tank then clean again. See what happens !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information