Clutch spun on crank now can't get it off

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
boxofbits

My vespa cosa has spun the clutch on the woodruff key now its stuck . Tried 2 large scew drivers and I've managed flick the basket out but its left the middle there . Is there any puller or method anyone can recommend to get the thing off the crank. :roll:
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Vespas aren't my strong-point, but can you explain whether you have been able to remove the securing nut? I assume so, but you are unable to use a screw-in extractor because the remains of the clutch are spinning on the end of the crank.

As I say, Vespas are my bag but I (and others) would like to help if I understood your problem a little better.
Martin
Ginch
Main scooter: Vespa 150 Super

Are you able to get a 3-legged puller on to it?
Davidsquaredson
Main scooter: Early Eibar Jet 200

Read down the page. http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/engine/ ... vespa.html

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
carpe scooter diem

1974 Rally 200
1965 Li150
1963 TV175
1974 Eibar Jet200
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Davidsquaredson wrote:Read down the page. http://www.scooterhelp.com/tips/engine/ ... vespa.html

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk
Good link but the problem the OP has is that the clutch has spun on the shaft and I suspect the remains of the woodruff key are preventing the clutch to be removed using the "traditional" 2 screwdriver method.

Can't think of an easy way without risk of damage.......be interested in the solution.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

if you can get 2 screwdrivers in behind the part thats stuck and apply some pressure, you then need a friend with a punch and hammer to hit the center where the tread is, there is a small indent to put the punch in so you dont damage the thread, this worked for me, no problem. if its still stuck another option would be to use an old flywheel extractor and tack weld it to the clutch and you could pull it off with that,
good luck,
holty
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If you cant get the claws of a puller on the edge,is it possible to put them through the holes where the springs normally sit.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Here is the drastic way that you might do it.
Separate the two halves of the engine, and then tap the crank out from the clutch side, leaving the clutch behind.

A lot of work, and not guaranteed to be successful, but it has the potential to deliver all the parts intact (except that pesky woodruff key)
Martin
boxofbits

Cheers will try I a few of those methods see how I go
Muttley McLadd

Out of interest.. was your Cosa clutch held on with one of those fancy nuts, or the more traditional nut with the castellated top?

I've had one fuckitself, with one of the fancy nuts from SIP. By the time I'd got the clutch off, the woodruff key hole was a touch bigger than recommended.
New crank.
CakeAndArseParty
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information