Trouble removing air box cover

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

No, it needs a longer shock to lift the body relative to the rear wheel. As ducksta says it may just be that the extended nut/ spacer at the top mount is missing
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If you put a longer shock on the back the carb rubber would be stretched even more.
ducksta

HxPaul wrote:If you put a longer shock on the back the carb rubber would be stretched even more.
Not really all my scoots run with the extended nut on the shocker lifting it up for a better ride height and petrol flow never had a issue with the hose fits ok
live life your a long time dead
sconav

Hi Folks, many thanks for the comments and observations. After a bit of time spent I ended up disconnecting the lower shock from the engine. This allowed the body/frame to drop which in turn moved the air box clear of the frame allowing the cover to be removed with no problem. It would appear that the shock is too long even when adjusted to its lower setting.

Can anybody recommend a new correct shock for a large rider? (18 stone).

Was able to dismantle the carb clean it along with air filter.

After putting back together it ran fine then wouldn't start after that. Did a few checks and found the ht lead spark plug cap resistance was too high reading 400k ohms. The cap was a 10k ohm one so definitely faulty. Have replaced with a 5k ohm resistive cap NGK LB05E which I believe is the correct value for the PX! The bike still would not start. Decided to check the fuel and found I was only getting fuel when the fuel tap was in the "reserve" position and no fuel when in the centre position! So next job to sort the fuel tap problem? Any pointers?

So new shock and fuel tap to fix next. Never a dull moment!

Thanks again. Scott
sconav

Just dawned on me! Maybe I don't have enough fuel in the tank. Even though the fuel gauge reads a quarter of a tank. Is this right or could the tap be blocked for the "on" position?
hat
Main scooter: SX150/ Mugello 186

Tends to hit reserve on not much less than half a tank, mine will genrally be at 3-4 litres full from an 8l max when it goes onto reserve. One less problem to fix!
sconav

hat wrote:Tends to hit reserve on not much less than half a tank, mine will genrally be at 3-4 litres full from an 8l max when it goes onto reserve. One less problem to fix!
Cheers. Sounds about right then. I think there is about a third of a tank in there.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If yours has a fuel gauge,then it doesn't have a reserve,just "on and off "
sconav

HxPaul wrote:If yours has a fuel gauge,then it doesn't have a reserve,just "on and off "
Hi. That's what I thought but the previous owner has confirmed that it does have reserve. To be honest it's been a while since I have been out on it but I am sure I have ran it with the tap in the on position 12 o'clock. Will put some more fuel in and see if it will run in the centre on position. The scooter is a PX125E VNX2T on a 91 plate.

Cheers
Last edited by sconav on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sconav

HxPaul wrote:If you put a longer shock on the back the carb rubber would be stretched even more.
You are right. Longer shock does stretch the carb rubber and moves the air box rearward under the frame slightly.

Cheers. Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information