Autolube Removal Overkill!

Anything related to Vespas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

Hi All,
I have tried in the past to find a description with pictures on how to remove the autolube and couldn't find any. I had a spare carb tray that I had picked up and the autolube device looked like it had had a hard life. Anyway, I was not concerned with just disabling the autolube with intention of putting it back (although it could be), so thought of a comprehensive way of doing so and take some pics that might help someone else (at the very least the pics could be used as a reference).

I know people will just say "all you need to do is XYZ" but you could just buy a non-autolube carb and tray if you wanted to, that's why it says "Overkill".

If I have missed something or done something potentially dangerous, please let me know and I will amend the post.

Many thanks
Gary

https://flic.kr/s/aHskVQkWLd

A. Filled hole with gasket sealant (optional if using non-autolube gasket).
B. Filled holes and oil track with gasket sealant (optional if using non-autolube gasket).
C. Removed carb tray cup, (required if removing metering shaft and plugging hole as the tray will not sit flush. Cup just pushes out with a suitable drift).
D. Filled hole with gasket sealant (optional if using non-autolube gasket).
E. Made my own gaskets with all unnecessary holes uncut.
F. I removed the metal oil pipe (personal preference) and blanked off the holes in the autolube device cover and the carb tray. (Optional as pipe can just be blanked off by leaving a piece of the original plastic oil pipe and securing the end with a tight bolt to avoid sucking air in).
G. Removed autolube device cover and removed cog, then filled holes with gasket sealant and a plug where the tray cup used to sit (all personal choice). Swapped to solid gasket and secured cover back on. (All optional as many leave the whole metering device and pipe in place, see F).
H. Removed shaft.
I. Plugged the hole with blanking plug.
J. Undid circlip and removed the cog.
K. Left keyhole cog in place as it acts as a spacer for the clutch.
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
johnd
Main scooter: 1970 Dl125

GFlint
Main scooter: Vespa PX200

:lol: Hahaha, you feel like doing that sometimes, usually with the words, "It was supposed to be an easy job".
If you don't tinker, you won't learn anything, but you won't break anything either :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information